Application Requirements: College Study Abroad Programs, IFSA-Butler
When applying for an IFSA-Butler program, keep the following
guidelines in mind:
- Applicants must be studying toward a bachelor's degree at an accredited, four-year college or university in the United States or Canada. We regret that we cannot accept applications from students pursuing degrees outside of the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must be attending college or university on a full-time basis at the time of their application to IFSA-Butler.
- We do not have programs for graduate students, nor can we accept your application if you have already earned a bachelor's degree, even if you plan to pursue additional undergraduate credits.
- Most of our affiliated universities require that students be juniors by the time they begin their study abroad experience. Some programs will accept second-semester sophomores.
- If you attend a two-year college or university, you may apply to our programs if you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university in the U.S. or Canada. You must have permission to study abroad from both your current college and the institution where you plan to receive your bachelor’s degree.
- Each university overseas sets GPA and other requirements for admission. Students must meet these requirements in order to be accepted by the university.
Special Notes for Programs in Latin America:
- Applicants for an intermediate or advanced Spanish study abroad program in Latin America must meet the Spanish language requirement set forth by IFSA-Butler before studying abroad.
- Students should successfully complete a Spanish course at their home universities within one year before studying abroad if applying to an intermediate or advanced Spanish study abroad program in Latin America.
- If an applicant to an intermediate or advanced Spanish study abroad program in Latin America has not yet taken a Spanish class at the university level or is a native Spanish speaker (and has not taken a university-level Spanish class), the applicant will need to take a Spanish placement exam at his/her home institution. The results of the placement exam are to be submitted to IFSA-Butler during the application process. The applicant may be required to complete a Spanish course at the university level before studying abroad.
- Upon acceptance to a study abroad program in Latin American, all IFSA-Butler students must take the mandatory program Spanish course.
All of our program applications must include the following:
- Program approval form signed by the official in charge of study abroad at your home college or university.
- Recommendation form completed by a professor. Some programs require two recommendations.
- An official transcript for all college and university work you have completed to date.
- One 2"x2" color ID photograph. The host universities require a photo, and we also use it to make your student I.D. card.
- Application fee: Effective December 2011, IFSA-Butler does not charge an application fee.
- Some universities require additional materials such as a second recommendation, art portfolio, music tape or writing sample. Internship candidates must complete an additional internship application.