Length of opportunity:
Volunteering is an excellent way to integrate yourself into the local Argentine community, learn about pressing issues facing Argentines on a daily basis and improve your Spanish speaking skills. Students in Buenos Aires can volunteer during their semester or year abroad. Placement is arranged through the Buenos Aires volunteer coordinator after your arrival in Argentina. Past placements have included (but are not limited to) work with the following organizations:
• Baby Help, an organization that provides child care for low income mothers seeking employment.
• Asociación para Erradicar el Maltrato Animal (APEMA), an nonprofit organization dedicated to fighting animal abuse.
• Hogar San Pablo, a therapeutic foster home helping children and adolescents.
• TZEDAKA, a Jewish community center that works with children, Holocaust survivors and children with Down's Syndrome.
• Pilotos Solidarios, provides assistance to rural communities through health and community education, focusing on potable water, solar energy, oral hygiene and general health.
• Sociedad de Integración Gay Lésbica Argentina (SIGLA), promotes the integration of gays and lesbians into the community by fighting discrimination and improving quality of life through political, cultural and health projects.
• Asociación Budista IBPSA Argentina, provides services for Buenos Aires' Buddhist population.
• Fundación Leer, works with children who are learning to read.
• Democracía Representativa, works to stregthen the representative-democratic system, focusing on increasing civic involvement, defending principles of a free society and forming leaders for public service.
• Consuma Dignidad, an educational program teaching responsible consumption to children and adolescents.
• Agua y Juventud, works to strengthen sustainable development initiatives in the community, focusing on water.
• United Religions Initiative (URI), a global community committed to promotion daily interfaith cooperation and ending religiously motivated violence.
• CEPNA, looks for ways to support all peoples from diverse indigenous communities wanting to reconnect with their cultures.
• Fundación Volpe Stessens, seeks to spread art and culture throughout the region by sponsoring exhibits, contests and various courses.