things to expect, part 4
- Expect to carry napkins/tissues and hand sanitizer (sale at Bath & Body Works!) everywhere. You’ll need it.
- Expect to have dinner late (as late as midnight!).
- Expect streets with restaurants, etc. to be empty until at least 11:30 pm, when it begins to pick up.
- (Always) expect free entry into any exclusive venue for the ladies
- Expect to say no firmly and persistently when you’re approached (for both genders!)
- Expect everything to be closed during the siesta except the big supermercados and post office (good time to go!).
- Expect to always be asked the question of where you’re from.
- Expect cat calls, whistles, multiple forms of greetings, etc. on the streets.
- Expect cars to be in stick shift (if you’re planning on renting a car to explore Bariloche, for example…)
- Expect to wait a few minutes to cross the street.
- Expect craziness on the streets when driving.
- Expect dogs and cats everywhere (and don’t pet them!).
- Expect to take caution while walking (acequias, litter, etc).
- Expect roads to be long (I believe my street consists of 7 cuadras alone).
- Expect to refer to streets/blocks as cuadras.
- Expect to get good answers when you ask someone for directions! For street directions, ask “a que altura de la calle ‘X’ esta?”
- Expect to see many parks!
- Expect to see PDA (between couples, but hugs, pats and kisses are exchanged frequently on the streets among friends and family members).
- Expect staring (and it’s okay to stare right back)!
- Expect to share saliva (food, mate, etc).
- Expect class to start late, and end both early and late.
- Expect students to come in and out during class (often to get hot water for mate).
- Expect mate to be passed around during class (including the professor).
- Expect classes to be canceled due to strikes, etc.
- Expect to hear (interesting) debates during class.
- Expect to go to the fotocopiadora for your readings (and may get slightly expensive).
- Expect to go to the fotocopiadora for your printing, fax, and scanning needs (no printer!).