MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

Teacher Education Abroad at Flinders University

About Flinders University Teacher Education

  • Minimum GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: November 1 for semester 1 (Feb-June)*
    November 1 for calendar year (Feb-Nov)*
    March 15 for semester 2 (July-Nov)
    March 15 for academic year (July-June)
  • Program advisor: Hannah Sutton

*=Student teaching placements available in semester 1 only, though practical teaching elements may be embedded in some semester 2 courses.

Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot

flinders education

We're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's teacher education program at Flinders University. We're sure you're going to love studying there!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What the Flinders University Teacher Education program has to offer

  • A choice of two tracks, one with coursework in a wide range of subjects, and a more specialized education track with a student teaching option
  • Student teaching placements (elementary through high school) available in semester 1 only
  • Available areas of education study include primary, secondary, language education, special education, health science and physical education
  • Supervision and guidance from education faculty at Flinders, whose education program is well regarded throughout Australia and around the world
  • "Buddy" pairings with Australian education students
  • Ranked in the top 300 universities worldwide and top 15 universities in AustraliaThree large campuses, four faculties and 19 specialist research centers
  • On-campus gym and fitness center, health and counseling services, post office, religious center, student travel center, restaurants and new student hub
  • First-rate playing fields for all major sports, tennis courts and two modern, indoor sports center
  • An active Clubs and Societies Association with more than 80 special interest groups


  • Housing is in self-catered student flats or fully-catered on-campus university housing


  • Student teaching track participants take education courses and complete student teaching at a local school
  • Traditional track participants can take a wide variety of subjects in addition to education courses, with no student teaching element
  • Participants can choose to focus on primary education, secondary education, language education or special education
  • Courses in health science and physical education are also available

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?

  1. To view a list of education courses at Flinders, click here.
  2. To view all other subjects at Flinders University click here. You should choose "Search by (current year) Topics" and then run a search for the subject areas in which you have an interest.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the Australian academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year (100-level) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
    • Second-year (200-level) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year (300-level) courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
    • Fourth-year (400-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
  • Remember in Australia, U.S. fall semester = semester 2 and U.S. spring semester = semester 1. Be sure to select courses for the correct semester you are studying abroad.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Education Courses

What education courses can I take at Flinders as part of this program?
Below are the available areas of education and sample courses that that may be available.

Primary (Elementary) Education

  • Differentiation for diverse learners
  • English Curriculum 2
  • Social Sciences Curriculum Studies: Geography and History
  • Professional Experience – 40-day placement in school setting

Primary (Elementary) Education (Languages)

  • Differentiation for Diverse Learners
  • Exploring literacies and intercultural contexts in languages pedagogy (R-7)
  • Social Sciences Curriculum Studies: Geography and History
  • Professional Experience – 40-day placement in school setting

Middle and Secondary School Education

  • Differentiation for Diverse Learners
  • Curriculum specialisation 2 (broad choice of discipline specialisations to choose from)
  • Curriculum specialisation 3 (broad choice of discipline specialisations to choose from)
  • Professional Experience – 40-day placement in middle/secondary school setting

Special Education & Disability Studies

  • Differentiation for Diverse Learners
  • Assessment and Programming in Special Education
  • Functional Curriculum Design for Students with a Disability
  • Professional Experience – 40-day placement in special class or school setting

Classes in Health Science and Physical Education are also available.

Course Restrictions

Fourth-year (400-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.

Student Teaching

How does this program work?
This program offers an unparalleled opportunity to combine study abroad with practical experience in the classroom. Student teaching track participants choose education courses at Flinders but also supplement their classroom learning with student teaching. Placements will be at schools located within the greater Adelaide area.

Please note that student teaching placements are available in semester 1 only. Education courses are available in both semesters.

As one of the few international programs available to pre-service teachers, this exciting opportunity at Flinders will give students the skills necessary to manage the increasingly culturally diverse North American classrooms they will encounter in their professional careers.

Do I need a police clearance?
Student teachers are required to obtain a police clearance in South Australia and possibly an Australian national police clearance. Flinders recommends that participants provide a police clearance from their home city or state as well. The process for obtaining a U.S. police clearance will vary by city and state, but obtaining an Australian police clearance is generally very straightforward, and Flinders will help with the process.

Do I need a special student visa?
Participants will also be required to obtain an Australian student visa. This is the same visa required of all applicants to study abroad programs in Australia, so there will be no special visa requirements for participants in this program.

How does the supervision and assessment of the student teaching work?
Flinders education faculty will provide supervision and assessment of teaching placements. Both the university supervisor and the mentor teacher in the host school will complete the student's professional experience report for the student's home college or university. IFSA-Butler and Flinders University will work with the student to ensure that student teaching requirements and assessment standards are met.


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution. The number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. A full course load at Flinders University is 18 Flinders units for the semester (equivalent to 15-16 U.S. semester credit hours) and 36 for the year (equivalent to 30-32 U.S. semester credit hours). For information on the credit weight, please consult the chart below.

3 Flinders units = 2.5 U.S. semester credit hours
4.5 Flinders units = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
6 Flinders units = 5 U.S. semester credit hours
9 Flinders units = 7.5 U.S. semester credit hours


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full Flinders University course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. Neither you nor the university is bound by your selections, and you will not officially register for courses until you arrive on campus.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendar to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting a grade appeal or academic follow-up for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at Flinders University. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

What are my housing options?
The following housing options are available during your semester or year abroad.

  • Deirdre Jordan Units and Townhouses
    The Deirdre Jordan Village is composed of two-, three- and five-bedroom apartments that are located on campus, five to 10 minutes walking distance to most of the classroom buildings, library, and student hub. Students will live with Australian students and other international students. No meal plan is available for students in the Deidre Jordan Village. There is a small convenience store on campus and grocery stores are located on main public transportation routes not far from campus.

    Students must supply their own kitchen supplies, towels, pillows, and bed linen. Basic essentials like kitchen packs and linen packs can be pre-purchased through Flinders Housing.
  • University Hall
    University Hall is a catered, collegiate hall of residence. Rooms in University Hall include a single bed, study desk and chair, wardrobe and shelving, heater and fan, mirror, telephone and Internet access, and lockable storage. Accommodation fee includes breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday. Communal kitchenettes are available to prepare snacks and weekend meals.


All apartments in the Deirdre Jordan Village have kitchens (refrigerator, oven and stove), but students are responsible for providing basic kitchen supplies (e.g., silverware, crockery, pots and pans). Kitchen packs can be pre-purchased.

Accommodation fee at University Hall includes breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday. Communal kitchenettes are available to prepare snacks and weekend meals.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for any commuting costs you may incur. Australian university housing requires students to move out during breaks between semesters. If you are studying abroad for a year and wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during these breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in Australia for orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by December 1 for spring and semester 1 programs or by May 1 for fall and semester 2 programs. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after these dates.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Adelaide, Australia

About Adelaide

Population: 1.3 million
Location: State of South Australia; in south central Australia and stretching along 45 miles of coastline

City features

  • Known as the "Gateway to the Outback"
  • Offers the best of cosmopolitan city life with the friendliness of a small university town
  • A lively cultural scene with visual and performing arts, galleries, museums and festivals
  • One of the largest shopping malls in the Southern Hemisphere
  • A great place to live well: Adelaide's cost of living is 24% lower than Sydney!

Do more!

  • Enjoy the beach, just 20 minutes from Adelaide
  • Take advantage of great camping and hiking opportunities nearby in the spectacular Flinders Mountain Ranges
  • Take a weekend jump to Kangaroo Island for cycling, horseback riding and hiking in a pristine natural environment
  • Experience the vineyard culture through winery tours in Adelaide's world-renowned wine region

City of Adelaide
Study Adelaide
Adelaide Fringe
South Australia Government
South Australia Tourism Commission
Adelaide Hills
Barossa Valley
Flinders Ranges
Kangaroo Island
The Adelaide Festival of Arts
Victor Harbor
Womadelaide, World Music Festival
Adelaide and South Australia News

Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

IFSA-Butler orientation begins at 11 a.m. on the orientation start date.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

All program support services end on the “Program Ends” date.

Exams must be taken where and when scheduled. Under no circumstances may students request that an exam time be changed. In Australia exams are taken under formal examination conditions, and changes cannot be made for individuals.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our Australia program fees
Expense calculator

Calendar Year and Semester 1 Payments Due: December 15
Academic Year and Semester 2 Payments Due:
May 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for the entire program fee, which includes tuition, services and housing. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs. Meals are estimated based on the cost of a weekly standard grocery shop with one meal out.  If you plan to eat out once a day or more, we recommend using a higher estimate.  If you have dietary restrictions or follow a specific diet (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, organic, etc), you may also wish to budget more due to the higher cost of specialty food items.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the Flinders University program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the Flinders University program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to Flinders University for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the Flinders University program, you can check the status of your application using the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team of staff who are here to help students prepare for their program in Australia:

hannahProgram Advisor Hannah Sutton assists with the application process and is here to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Hannah graduated from Butler University with a bachelor’s degree in English Literature. During her junior year, Hannah spent a semester in Dublin on the IFSA-Butler Ireland program. Her experience led her to develop a passion for study abroad and education and she joined the IFSA-Butler team to help guide other students to their own study abroad adventures. Hannah currently advises students planning to study in Australia and New Zealand, and can be reached through the email link above or by phone at 800-858-0229 ext. 4266.

beckiStudent Accounts Coordinator Becki Niccum assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Becki can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-3077.


altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

Once abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our student services coordinator Sharna Bremner. Click here to read more about Sharna.

paigeUpon return from your study abroad program, Academic Affairs Coordinator Paige Ward processes your Butler University transcript and assists with any academic record appeals. Paige graduated from Butler University, and she studied abroad for a semester in Paris, Belfast, London and the English Lake District. Studying abroad for Paige was an eye-opening and knowledge-gaining experience, and she is excited to work with students who are looking for the same. Paige can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229 ext. 4254.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students

Community-Based Learning

Community-based learning
Students can be peer mentors to at-risk secondary students in Adelaide. Education majors can earn up to 5 U.S. semester credit hours for their participation; other majors are welcome to participate but do not earn credit. Contact your program advisor for more information.

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.