MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

Australia Study Abroad Program at Murdoch University

About Murdoch University in Perth, Australia

  • Required GPA: 2.6 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: November 15 for semester 1 (Feb-June)
    November 15 for calendar year (Feb-Nov)
    March 15 for semester 2 (July-Nov)
    March 15 for academic year (July-June)
  • Program advisor: Renee Lopez
Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot


We're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's program at Murdoch University for your semester or year abroad. Murdoch is a modern, student-centered university and we're sure you're going to love studying there!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What Murdoch has to offer

  • A national reputation for excellence across teaching, research and student satisfaction
  • A 560-acre campus in a beautiful bush environment, yet just 20 minutes from Perth's city center
  • Home to the United Nations Environment Programme, one of only three in the world
  • On-campus food outlets, banking outlets, gymnasium, student union, travel center, hairdresser, bookshop, gift store, health and counseling service, and extensive library
  • An incredible, subsidized 10-day excursion into the outback: Includes visits to the World Heritage site Monkey Mia, the Ningaloo Reef Marine Park and Karijini National Park  View video
  • Excellent student services
  • An active students' guild that sponsors a wide range of cultural, social and sporting events, as well as clubs for interests
  • Easy access to "Freo," the port city of Fremantle, just 10 minutes by bus and a true Australian experience


  • Housing is in the Student Village, a 10-minute walk from university buildings
  • Students purchase or prepare their own meals


  • Flexible academic structure
  • Students take three or four courses per semester

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?
Open the Murdoch University online course catalog.

Please remember that at Murdoch, classes are called "Units," so you can either use the Unit Search function or scroll down below that to browse through the list of units. Murdoch also has a PDF guide to using its online catalog; click here to read the PDF.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the Australian academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year (100-level) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
    • Second-year (200-level) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year (300-level) courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
    • Fourth-year (400-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
  • Remember in Australia, U.S. fall semester = semester 2 and U.S. spring semester = semester 1. Be sure to select courses for the correct semester you are studying abroad.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Course Restrictions

Fourth-year (400-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.

Murdoch does not allow study abroad students to take Veterinary Science courses (coded "VET").


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution. A full course load is 12 Murdoch points for the semester (15-16 U.S. credit hours) or 24 points for the year (30-32 U.S. credit hours). Units with a code of 100 are worth three credit points; codes with 200 and above are worth four credit points. For information on the credit weight, please consult the information below.

3 MU points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
4 MU points = 5 U.S. semester credit hours
6 MU points = 8 U.S. semester credit hours

Most students take either four classes at the 100 level (4 classes x 4 U.S. credit hours = 16 credit hours) or three classes at the 200 and 300 levels (3 classes x 5 U.S. credit hours = 15 credit hours) to make up their course load for the semester. You may mix classes in the 100, 200, and 300 levels as long as you do not exceed 12 Murdoch University points. Contact your program advisor if you need assistance calculating your U.S. credit hours based on your Murdoch University points.


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full Murdoch University course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. Neither you nor the university is bound by your selections, and you will not officially register for courses until you arrive on campus.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendar to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting a grade query or academic follow-up for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at Murdoch University. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

The Murdoch University Village (MUV) is located a five-minute walk from university buildings and is within walking distance to local shopping facilities. You will share the flat with both Australian and international students. Single rooms are available in the five-bedroom apartments, and linens are provided. You will prepare your own meals in a shared kitchen area. Students will need to purchase their own cookware and utensils.

The Village has convenient on-site facilities, including a swimming pool, lounge, recreation room and group study lounges. Students can get involved in many free classes and activities in the Village.


Students purchase and prepare their own meals in a shared kitchen area. No meal plan is available.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for any commuting costs you may incur. Australian university housing requires students to move out during breaks between semesters. If you are studying abroad for a year and wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during these breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Do I have to pay a housing deposit?
Yes. IFSA-Butler requires a refundable housing deposit of $300 before going abroad. We will return this deposit to you after March 1 for fall programs or September 1 for spring and year programs, less any fines, damages or outstanding debts in your name.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Perth, Australia

About Perth
Population: 1.6 million
Location: State of Western Australia

City features

  • More hours of sunshine than any other capital city in Australia
  • A relaxed but sophisticated lifestyle
  • Many historical parks and gardens, green open spaces with public art and water features
  • A large shopping district with a wide variety of cafes, restaurants, upscale boutiques, department stores, authentic Australian merchandise and duty-free shops

Do more!

  • Take a cruise up the Swan River to the wineries
  • Cycle on routes around the city, and to Fremantle and the beach
  • Meet the dolphins at Monkey Mia in the Shark Bay World Heritage Area
  • Snorkel in the Ningaloo Reef, home to some 500 species of fish
  • Hike the spectacular gorges of Karijini National Park


Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Independent travelers must arrive at the Sydney Harbour YHA Hostel by 11 a.m. on the mandatory arrival date listed above.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

All program support services end on the “Program Ends” date.

Exams must be taken where and when scheduled. Under no circumstances may students request that an exam time be changed. In Australia exams are taken under formal examination conditions, and changes cannot be made for individuals. 

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our Australia program fees
Expense calculator

Calendar Year and Semester 1 Payments Due: December 15
Academic Year and Semester 2 Payments Due:
May 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

† Housing Deposit
This program requires a housing deposit of $300. This payment is in addition to the program fee but is due on the same date. The deposit is held separately from the program fee and should be paid separately. The deposit is refunded to the student after the program, less any damages, fines or outstanding debts in the student’s name.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

Students who choose to go on the optional Northwest trip should plan to bring an additional approximate $925 (AU$900) to cover the cost of this trip.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the Murdoch University program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the Murdoch University program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to Murdoch for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the Murdoch University program, you can check the status of your application using the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team of staff who are here to help students prepare for their program in Australia:

mattProgram Advisor Renee Lopez assists with the application process and is here to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Renee can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4256. Renee studied abroad twice, in France during high school and in Ireland during college. In addition, she has also traveled to Scotland, England, Germany, Mexico and St. Lucia. She graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University and has been with IFSA-Butler since 2013. She is very excited to help students plan their own study abroad adventures because her own travel experiences have been so meaningful.

beckiStudent Accounts Coordinator Becki Niccum assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Becki can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-3077.


altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

mollyOnce abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our student services coordinator Molly Fernandes. Click here to learn more about Molly.



paigeUpon return from your study abroad program, Academic Affairs Coordinator Paige Ward processes your Butler University transcript and assists with any academic record queries. Paige graduated from Butler University, and she studied abroad for a semester in Paris, Belfast, London and the English Lake District. Studying abroad for Paige was an eye-opening and knowledge-gaining experience, and she is excited to work with students who are looking for the same. Paige can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229 ext. 4254.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.