Meet Our New Zealand Resident Director
Amy Rutherford, New Zealand Resident Director
- WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A RESIDENT DIRECTOR?
- I love hearing the students’ stories – where they come from, why they chose New Zealand, what they’re studying, what they want to do, and I especially love hearing about how their time in New Zealand has changed their life.
- WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT NEW ZEALAND?
- New Zealand was the first country in the world to grant women the right to vote, in 1893. Kate Sheppard, the leader of the women’s suffrage movement in New Zealand, is honoured with her image on the ten dollar note.
- WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE NEW ZEALAND BAND?
- New Zealand has a thriving music scene; some of my favourite Kiwi artists include Six60, Ladi6, Bic Runga, Brooke Fraser, Tiki Taane, and Annah Mac. Make sure you listen to Poi E by the Patea Maori Club before arriving in New Zealand.
- WHAT ARE SOME OF THE AMAZING PLACES YOU'VE VISITED AROUND THE WORLD?
- I’ve been all over the place, but I love Bangkok (fabulous food!), Samoa (gorgeous beaches!), Tunisia (the history!), Chicago (I have about a million pictures of me and the Bean), and London...Berlin...Oslo...Paris...Vienna...Singapore...gosh everywhere is amazing!
- TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND.
- I was born in Dunedin, New Zealand, but have lived in Australia, the UK, and the USA. My mother is English, but my father’s family arrived in New Zealand in the mid 19th century. I studied at the University of Richmond in Virginia as part of my bachelor’s degree – so I know what it’s like to be a stranger in a strange land...
- WHAT IS A VISITOR "MUST-SEE" IN NEW ZEALAND?
- I grew up among the beautiful mountains and lakes of Queenstown, which is renowned as the “Adventure Capital of the World”. You can go bungy jumping, rafting, sky diving, skiing, hiking - all in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
- WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU'RE NOT BUSY WORKING WITH STUDENTS?
- I love reading, running, and tasting any variety of New Zealand’s fine wine. Actually, one of my special strengths is shopping. I love New Zealand design!
- WHAT'S YOUR DREAM VACATION?
- Italy or Tanzania or Jordan or Peru. I can’t choose just one!
- Visit our New Zealand resident office website