MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

England Study Abroad Program at the University of Leeds

About the University of Leeds in Leeds, England

  • Required GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: October 15 for spring semester (Jan-June)
    March 31 for fall semester (Sept-Jan)
    March 31 for full year (Sept-June)
  • Program advisor: Emma Diebold
Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot


We're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's program at the University of Leeds for your semester or year abroad. With great shopping, the best club scene in England and a first rate university, we're am sure you are going to love studying in Leeds!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What the University of Leeds has to offer

  • One of the largest universities in Britain
  • An amazing selection of courses and departments
  • An international reputation for excellent teaching and research
  • A member of Britain's Russell Group of universities, similar to the Ivy League
  • A friendly, welcoming feel, thanks to its strong departmental traditions and extremely active Student Union
  • State-of-the-art teaching facilities and resources and one of the leading university libraries in Britain
  • Self-contained campus with bars, food outlets, shops, a bank and supermarket
  • One of the best student unions in the country
  • More than 50 sports clubs and 250 societies
  • On-campus theatre and regular concerts of everything from rock, pop and jazz to the classics, folk and opera


  • Housing is in a hall of residence or university flat
  • Students may choose from a wide range of housing options
  • Housing options include large and small residences, contemporary and traditional buildings, on-campus halls and off-campus flats
  • In some housing, meals are provided; in others, students purchase or prepare their meals in shared kitchens
  • The student union has a large, pay-as-you-go refectory that offers a wide selection


  • Exceptional choice of studies across 50 departments and centers
  • One of the few food science programs in the U.K.
  • Students take three to six courses per semester, depending on course weight
  • A member of the prestigious Russell Group of major research universities in the United Kingdom

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?

  1. Open the University of Leeds online course catalog.
  2. Search for courses by title, subject or department.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course. You must take all courses for academic credit, and must complete all coursework and exams in order to obtain credit on the Butler University transcript.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the British academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
    • Second-year courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
    • Fourth-year courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
  • The semester in which the course is offered:
    When is the course offered? Who can take it?
    Semester 1 = Fall and year students
    Semester 2 = Spring and year students
    Semester 1 & 2 = Year students only
    Semester 1, 2 = Fall, spring and year students
  • For those students interested in taking language courses at Leeds:
    • Students interested in taking a foreign language abroad can search for available modules under the "Modern Language and Cultures" department and will need to complete a Foreign Language Questionnaire along with their rest of their application. This will ensure you are placed in the correct language level. Please ask your program advisor for this questionnaire if you are interested in undertaking a language course.
  • For applicants to the English department:
    • All students applying to take courses in the English department should submit with their application a sample of a recent written work on a literary topic. Please do not write a special paper for your application; submit an essay you have already turned in that has been graded by a professor at your home university.
    • All students who wish to take English at Leeds must take at least one core module. Core modules are essentially survey courses, though they are not necessarily introductory courses. Core modules are good for students without a lot of background in a subject area. Students attend two lectures a week and one seminar course. Hundreds of students can attend a lecture, but there are never more than 10 students in a seminar group. In the Leeds online course catalog, English core modules module codes begin with "20" (level 2) or "30" (level 3). If you plan on taking English courses while at Leeds, please be sure to select at least one core module and two alternate core module selections (in case your first choice is full).
  • For applicants who wish to study Studio work in Fine Art, all Design Majors, and students wishing to take Music performance classes (not electives)
    • You will need to submit along with your application a portfolio of your work by email or CD. Please note: your acceptance onto these practical modules will depend on your portfolio.
    • Art and Design: should include 5-10 images of your best work
    • Music: at least 10 minutes of your playing/singing, with contrastingexamples if possible.
  • Students who wish to take elective drawing modules in the School of Design
    • Samples of your drawing work, which will be used to assess whether or not you can take the module.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

When will I take my final exams?
All students are required to take their exams at the same time as regular degree-seeking students at the University of Leeds. Year and fall semester students will be required to take their final exams in January at the same time as regular degree-seeking students at the University of Leeds. There are no exceptions, and exams cannot be rescheduled or taken in the U.S.


Course Restrictions

Fourth-year courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution as defined by IFSA-Butler. The number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. A full course load at Leeds is 60 credits for the semester (equivalent to 15 U.S. semester credit hours) and 120 credits for the year (equivalent to 30 U.S. semester credit hours). For information on the credit weight, please review the information below.

4 University of Leeds credits = 1 U.S. semester credit hour


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full University of Leeds course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. You will be provisionally enrolled in your courses before going abroad. After you are accepted to study abroad at the University of Leeds, you may select new or additional courses for preapproval by emailing your IFSA-Butler program advisor. Please note that neither IFSA-Butler nor the University of Leeds can guarantee the availability of any courses.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to the program dates to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting an academic record appeal for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at the University of Leeds. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

What are my housing options?
Leeds offers accommodation in either traditional halls or university flats. Amenities include communal dining rooms and social areas, laundry facilities, and access to a wide range of sports and recreational activities. Four of the university halls of residence are on campus, but the majority are between 1.5 to four miles away on a main bus route. Past students have been able to purchase a bedding pack (containing a comforter, bottom sheet, and pillow) from the Leeds accommodation service for £35.

For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Leeds accommodation website. Click on "Prospective Students" and then select an option from the menu on the left for all of the available options. Click here for an overview of the facilities available at each residence, or you can view a PDF map of student residences.

On vs. off-campus housing
U.S. students prefer to request accommodation in one of the halls of residence on the Leeds campus because they are familiar with campus living at their home universities. However, the majority of Leeds students live in the university's off-campus accommodation. Though you may have a longer walk or bus ride to class if you choose an off-campus hall of residence, you will have better access to the student village and student life in that area.

Flats vs. halls of residence
The Leeds halls of residence are well known for their lively social atmospheres and active student committees. However, the university also maintains a number of self-catering flats where students are responsible for their own meals. This type of housing is particularly popular with more independent students who prefer to maintain their own lifestyle. Flats range from converted Victorian houses and maisonettes to modern four-story blocks on their own grounds.



Are meal plans available?
If you live in housing with a required meal plan, the cost of the meal plan is your responsibility. You will be billed for the meal plan a few weeks after arriving abroad. If you would like to live in accommodation that offers a meal plan, be sure to indicate this on your housing preference form.

Please note that the meal plans at Leeds might not be similar to the meal plans you are used to in the U.S. Typically there are only one or two meal options, and the meal options are usually more traditionally British dishes (i.e. fish & chips, steak and kidney pie, etc.) If you have special or specific dietary requirements, a meal plan may not be the best option for you.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for the cost of your meals (whether a meal plan or self-catered) and any commuting costs you may incur. Some university housing requires students to move out during winter and spring breaks. If you wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during university breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in England for orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Do I have to pay a housing deposit?
Yes. IFSA-Butler requires a refundable housing deposit of $300 before going abroad. We will return this deposit to you after March 1 for fall programs or September 1 for spring and year programs, less any fines, damages or outstanding debts in your name.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Leeds, England

About Leeds
Population: 750,000
Location: Two hours north of London

City features

  • Capital city of the West Yorkshire region
  • One of the best club scenes in England
  • Central Leeds is just a 10-minute walk from the campus
  • An important commercial center with great shopping
  • Symphony and chamber concerts and home to the famous Leeds International Pianoforte Competition

Do more!

  • Explore the Yorkshire countryside, so beautiful that it has earned the nickname "God's Own County"
  • Walk or hike the famous moors
  • Take a train to London, two hours away

Leeds Information
Virtual Tour of Leeds
Images of Leeds
Yorkshire Moors
Yorkshire Visitor Centre
Visit Yorkshire
Yorkshire Pride


Dates & Fees

Program Dates


Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Important: Once you are abroad, please verify the program end date with the department(s) in which you are studying. Ending dates may vary from department to department, and you will be expected to complete all course obligations prior to your departure. Program housing is available only until the program end date.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

In the United Kingdom, exams are taken under formal conditions and changes cannot be made for individuals. Exams must be taken where and when scheduled.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our England program fees
Expense calculator

Academic Year and Fall Payments Due: July 1
Spring Payment Due:
November 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

† Housing Deposit
This program requires a housing deposit of $300. This payment is in addition to the program fee but is due on the same date. The deposit is held separately from the program fee and should be paid separately. The deposit is refunded to the student after the program, less any damages, fines or outstanding debts in the student’s name.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

*Student Visa: U.S. citizens studying in the U.K. for less than six months (180 days) do not need to apply for a visa, but can instead enter the country as a student visitor at no cost. Student visitors are allowed to remain in the U.K. for up to six months but are not allowed to undertake any paid work or unpaid volunteer activities. Citizens of some countries may be required to obtain a student visa. If this applies to you, your IFSA-Butler program advisor will notify you. Detailed instructions regarding U.K. visas will be sent to all students upon acceptance.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

Commuting: Estimates are for transportation between housing and university. Transportation for personal or recreational purposes is not included in the above estimates.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the University of Leeds program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the University of Leeds program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to the University of Leeds for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the University of Leeds program, you can track which forms IFSA-Butler has received by logging into the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team of staff who are here to help students prepare for their program in England:

mattProgram Advisor Emma Diebold assists with the application process and is here to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Emma completed her undergraduate degree in Geography: Travel & Tourism at Ball State University. She went abroad with the BSU Geography Department to Eastern and Central Europe and has enjoyed personal travels to several destinations including Belgium, France, Ireland, Peru, Ecuador and The Bahamas. Emma joined the IFSA- Butler team to aid students who want to explore the world and advises students planning to study abroad in England. Emma can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4258.

altStudent Accounts Coordinator Angelita Shaffer assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Angelita can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4221.




altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

Once abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our resident directors. Click here to read more about Resident Directors Lynne Alvarez and Andrew Williams.

altUpon return from your study abroad program, Assistant Director for Academic Affairs Rhonda Hinkle processes your Butler University transcript and assists with any academic record appeals. Rhonda completed her undergraduate coursework at the University of Evansville and received her master's degree from Bowling Green State University. She also has taken doctoral courses at Ball State University. For Rhonda, study abroad not only increased her awareness of the world around her but also ignited her passion for travel and education. Rhonda can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229 ext. 4259.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.