MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

Australia Study Abroad at the University of New South Wales

About University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia

  • Required GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: November 15 for semester 1 (Feb-June)
    November 15 for calendar year (Feb-Nov)
    March 15 for semester 2 (July-Nov)
    March 15 for academic year (July-June)
  • Program advisor: Hannah Sutton
Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot


We're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's program at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) for your semester or year abroad. UNSW is ranked as one of the best universities in Australia and has the longest running study abroad program in the country. We're sure you're going to love studying there!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What UNSW has to offer

  • Ranks as one of the best universities in Australia
  • A relaxed, friendly atmosphere
  • Known as "Australia's most international campus"
  • High faculty-to-student ratio ensures personal attention
  • An internship program that combines a workplace assignment with a substantial research project
  • World-class performing arts facilities
  • An active students union that sponsors events and more than 50 student clubs and societies
  • On-campus bookstore, audiovisual services, food concessions, cafes, banks and shops
  • Sport and recreation center with pool, gymnasium, squash and tennis courts and a variety of activities from aerobics to weight lifting
  • A scholarship up to $10,000 is available to U.S. study abroad students studying business at UNSW


  • Housing in university-affiliated Kensington colleges with excellent facilities and services, as well as a mandatory meal plan


  • A strong academic program across a wide range of disciplines
  • Students take four courses per semester

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?

  1. Open the UNSW online course catalog.
  2. Be sure to verify that the classes you have selected are offered in the appropriate semester.
  3. Make sure that you meet any listed prerequisites.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the Australian academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year (1000-level) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
    • Second-year (2000-level) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year (3000-level) courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
    • Fourth-year (4000-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
    • Students taking classes in biomedical engineering (BIOM) may take classes in the 9000 level with advisor approval.
    • Classes in the General Subjects faculties (GENS, GENX, etc.) are considered undergraduate level regardless of the course number.
  • Be sure that you choose only those courses offered on the UNSW Sydney, Kensington or UNSW Art & Design campuses.
  • Courses in the Faculty of Law are not open to study abroad students, with the exception of: LAWS3350, Sport, Law and Society in Australia; LAWS3351, Sport and the Law in the Western World; and those with course codes starting with GENL.
  • School of Medical Sciences classes with course codes starting with MFAC are not open to study abroad students, but similar courses are available under the GENM code, and those are open to study abroad students.
  • Criminology (CRIM) classes are restricted to Criminology majors.
  • Media (MDIA) classes are not available to study abroad students.
  • Students wishing to take Chemistry classes need to submit syllabi (preferred) or course descriptions for the previous Chemistry classes they have taken.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Course Restrictions

Are there any course or departmental restrictions?

  • All courses with codes beginning with the letter "Z" are taught on UNSW's Canberra campus and are therefore unavailable to study abroad students.
  • Be sure that you choose only those courses offered on the UNSW Sydney, Kensington or UNSW Art & Design campuses.
  • Fourth-year (4000-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
  • Courses in the Faculty of Law are not open to study abroad students, with the exception of: LAWS3350, Sport, Law and Society in Australia; LAWS3351, Sport and the Law in the Western World; and those with course codes starting with GENL.
  • School of Medical Sciences classes with course codes starting with MFAC are not open to study abroad students, but similar courses are available under the GENM code, and those are open to study abroad students.
  • Criminology (CRIM) classes are restricted to Criminology majors.
  • Media (MDIA) classes are not available to study abroad students.
  • Please note that there are a limited number of spaces available to study abroad students in classes on the UNSW Art & Design campus. If you are interested in courses on this campus, be sure to complete your application materials early.


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler students must take the equivalent of 16 U.S. semester credit hours at UNSW, which is usually four courses; however, the number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. For information on the credit weight, please consult the information below.

3 UNSW points = 2 U.S. semester credit hours
6 UNSW points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
12 UNSW points = 8 U.S. semester credit hours


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full University of New South Wales course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. Neither you nor the university is bound by your selections, and you will not officially register for courses until you arrive on campus.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendar to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting a grade query or academic follow-up for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at the University of New South Wales. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

What are my housing options?
The Kensington Colleges offer newly renovated, on-campus, catered accommodations that are very popular with Australian students. These colleges are located in close proximity to each other and share a dining area. All rooms are dormitory-style single rooms with shared bathrooms. The Colleges offer a community feel complete with intermural sports, resident programs and internet lounges. Due to the community based environment, Kensington Colleges is the preferred location for most study abroad students. The meal plan cost is included in the IFSA-Butler housing fee.

The dining hall at Kensington provides three meals per day Monday through Friday, and brunch and dinner on the weekends during semester times.

Basic lined is provided, but students are responsible for their own fans, heaters, cleaning and cleaning supplies.


Students placed Kensington Colleges will have mandatory meal plans. The dining hall at Kensington provides three meals per day Monday through Friday, and brunch and dinner on the weekends during semester times.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for any commuting costs you may incur. Australian university housing requires students to move out during breaks between semesters. If you are studying abroad for a year and wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during these breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in Australia for orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Do I have to pay a housing deposit?
Yes. IFSA-Butler requires a refundable housing deposit of $300 before going abroad. We will return this deposit to you after March 1 for fall programs or September 1 for spring and year programs, less any fines, damages or outstanding debts in your name.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Sydney, Australia

About Sydney
Population: 4.5 million
Location: State of New South Wales, in southeast Australia

City features

  • Known as the "World's Friendliest City"
  • Renowned for its multicultural flavor
  • At its heart is a spectacular harbour, home to the famous sails of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge
  • Distinct neighborhoods with a huge range of lifestyles and cultures, linked by excellent public transportation
  • Darling Harbour is a glittering entertainment district and a hub of endless fun
  • Nearby are the historic Rocks, Sydney' oldest preserved colonial district transformed into a vibrant area of pubs, cafes, restaurants and shops

Do more!

  • Enjoy surfing, swimming and sunning at the beaches on the east coast of the city, a 20-minute walk from the UNSW campus
  • Visit the Blue Mountains in the west
  • Sample wines in the Hunter Valley to the north of Sydney, where some of Australia's best wines are made

City of Sydney
Travel South: A Visitor's Guide to South Coast New South Wales Things to Do
City Search Sydney
Lonely Planet Sydney
Sydney Morning Herald

Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Independent travelers must arrive at the Sydney Harbour YHA Hostel by 11 a.m. on the mandatory arrival date listed above.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

All program support services end on the “Program Ends” date.

Exams must be taken where and when scheduled. Under no circumstances may students request that an exam time be changed. In Australia exams are taken under formal examination conditions, and changes cannot be made for individuals.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our Australia program fees
Expense calculator

Calendar Year and Semester 1 Payments Due: December 15
Academic Year and Semester 2 Payments Due:
May 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

† Housing Deposit
This program requires a housing deposit of $300. This payment is in addition to the program fee but is due on the same date. The deposit is held separately from the program fee and should be paid separately. The deposit is refunded to the student after the program, less any damages, fines or outstanding debts in the student’s name.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

Commuting: Estimates are for transportation between housing and university. Transportation for personal or recreational purposes is not included in the above estimates.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the University of New South Wales program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the University of New South Wales program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

  • Course Preference Form
  • Housing Preference Form
  • If you wish to pursue an internship at UNSW, you will need to complete a PDF internship application and submit supporting materials. See the Internships tab for more information.

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to the University of New South Wales for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the University of New South Wales program, you can check the status of your application using the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

hannahProgram Advisor Hannah Sutton assists with the application process and is here to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Hannah graduated from Butler University with a bachelor’s degree in English Literature. During her junior year, Hannah spent a semester in Dublin on the IFSA-Butler Ireland program. Her experience led her to develop a passion for study abroad and education and she joined the IFSA-Butler team to help guide other students to their own study abroad adventures. Hannah currently advises students planning to study in Australia and England and can be reached through the email link above or by phone at 800-858-0229 ext. 4266.

beckiStudent Accounts Coordinator Becki Niccum assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Becki can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-3077.


altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler for since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

fiona della caOnce abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our student services coordinator Fiona Pearson. Click here to read more about Fiona.




paigeUpon return from your study abroad program, Academic Affairs Coordinator Paige Ward processes your Butler University transcript and assists with any academic record queries. Paige graduated from Butler University, and she studied abroad for a semester in Paris, Belfast, London and the English Lake District. Studying abroad for Paige was an eye-opening and knowledge-gaining experience, and she is excited to work with students who are looking for the same. Paige can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229 ext. 4254.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students


The University of New South Wales offers internships in two areas: Business and Media Studies. A staff member in the agency or organization where you are placed will supervise your performance in the internship and act as your field supervisor. An academic supervisor will monitor your progress in your placement and guide you on your academic project.

Internship applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.0 and have completed at least four semesters of a relevant degree.

Your academic supervisor, field placement supervisor and another UNSW staff member will assess your internship for the final grade. The academic project associated with your internship carries most of the weight in determining your final letter grade. An internship replaces one regular class at UNSW and is worth 4 U.S. credit hours. Interns work between 100-150 hours for the length of the internship, depending on their placement.

Students interested in a Media Studies internship are required to find their own internship placement. For assistance in doing so, contact your IFSA-Butler program advisor for more information.

Placements are offered after an interview process either prior to the start of the semester or after you arrive in Sydney. UNSW cannot guarantee internship placements before the interview process is complete.

How do I apply for the internship?

  1. Students interested in applying for an internship should email their interest to the IFSA-Butler program advisor.
  2. If you're interested in an internship in Media Studies, please list MDIA3007, Media Internship on the first line of your course preference form. If you're interested in an internship in business, please list FINS3201, Business Internship on your course form.
  3. Send the following items to IFSA-Butler:
  • Resumé
  • Two academic references (i.e. from professors): We can use the reference(s) that you already submitted as part of your application, so you'll probably only need to obtain one additional academic reference. If you have any questions about how many references you still need, please contact your
    IFSA-Butler program advisor.
  • One professional reference (i.e. from a work or volunteer supervisor): Again, if you have any questions about how many references you still need, please contact your program advisor.
  • 500-word statement outlining the following:
    • The specific area that you would like to be placed in
    • The skills you are seeking to develop from the internship
    • What you expect to learn
    • How this experience will benefit you
  • Your completed internship application form:
    • IFSA-Butler has already completed some of the information on the form on your behalf.
    • Pages one and two ask for your personal, academic information and internship information.
    • Page three asks for your references: List the professor who completed the reference for your initial IFSA-Butler application, plus one or two others. If you have any questions about who completed your initial reference(s) or how many we received, please contact your program advisor.
    • Page four is the page that you'll give to your remaining references to complete. You do not need to have the professor who already completed your initial academic recommendation for your IFSA-Butler application complete this; we can use the one we already received.

How do I return my materials?
You can return your materials to us by mail, fax or email:

1100 W 42nd St, Suite 305
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Fax: (317-940-9704)

Please do not send anything to UNSW directly. IFSA-Butler will send all application components, including parts of your initial application, to UNSW on your behalf. 

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.