Why I Like Traveling Alone
The best kind of traveling is with people you enjoy being around, but there are definitely some perks to solo adventures. For instance:
- I can make the itinerary however I want. I get to pick the location, the flight, the hostel, the activities, and the food without having to coordinate with anyone else.
- There is a certain satisfaction in being able to navigate a new city by yourself. Especially not having a smart phone anymore, I’ve developed some serious paper map reading skills.
- I’m more apt to meet new people. After just one night in a Dublin hostel, I became friendly with a Spanish speaking Japanese girl and another American girl (who happened to share my name) and was in Ireland for 26 days just because she felt like it.
- If I want to leave ridiculously early for the airport, I can do that.
- I can wake up whenever I want to in the morning.
- I don’t have to be social when I’m tired from traveling.
- Learning to be confident walking around an unfamiliar place alone is important.
- People say things like, “Oh you’re traveling alone, I don’t know if I could do that.”