If you’re new to mate, you might be turned off by the bitterness. Keep in mind that it’s more of an acquired taste. The more you drink it, the faster you’ll become accustomed to the comforting taste. Also note that the warmer the water and the longer you let it sit before drinking, the more bitter it will be.
I’ve come up with some simplified directions to prepare mate, so you can drink mate all the time
To prepare mate:
- Fill your cup about 1/2 to 3/4 with yerba mate.
- Moisten the mate slightly with lukewarm water, then wait 30 seconds.
- Prepare the hot water, then pour until it nearly reaches the top.
- Let the mixture stand for a few seconds, then insert the bombilla firmly into the mixture.
- Sip your mate with the bombilla (but never touch the straw!!!)
- Replenish with hot water when necessary.
Note: sugar, other herbs (mint, for example), honey, or milk can be added, depending on the drinker’s preference. Some don’ts: never touch the bombilla and never drink for too long; always pass it on!