IFSA's Privacy Commitment
Information We Collect
IFSA collects two types of information from users of this website:
Personal Data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Examples of Personal Data we collect from users include first and last names, email addresses, username and password for accessing a IFSA account, college transcripts, passport information, and IP addresses.
Usage Data means any non-personally identifiable information that is automatically collected anytime you visit an IFSA webpage, including information such as browser type and referring websites.
Data Subjects means identified or identifiable natural person as set forth in the GDPR.
How We Collect Information
We collect Personal Data when you voluntarily provide such information through the website or other communications. For example, we receive Personal Data when you visit our website, create an online user account, submit an application, subscribe to receive our communications, submit various online forms, and contact us via telephone, mail, or email.
BY USING OUR WEBSITE, YOU AGREE TO THE TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO COUNTRIES OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES THAT HAVE INSTITUTION AND SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH OUR OVERSEAS PROGRAMS.
How We Use and Disclose Information
General Uses and Disclosures. We use and share the information we collect from users for the purposes described below. To perform the following tasks, IFSA may transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area using appropriate safeguards when necessary. When necessary, we will obtain your consent before using your data for these purposes:
- Provision of Services to Website Users. If you use our website, we will use your information to process and respond to your requests, comments, inquiries, and other forms you submit through our website.
- Improving our Services. We use your information to enhance our understanding of our users’ preferences and optimize the performance of our website.
- Disclosures to Service Providers. We share your information with third-party service providers that assist us with hosting and maintaining IFSA’s website, processing payment card information, analyze online activity on our website, and managing our daily business operations and delivery of services. We also share certain information with overseas institutions and service providers, including universities and host families, so that they may provide our students with the services we request of them. We share only the minimum amount of Personal Data with these service providers that they need to perform their tasks. We also enter into contracts with these service providers that require them to protect the Personal Data. We do not rent or sell Personal Data to third-parties for their marketing purposes.
- Promoting IFSA Programs. We may share certain information about you, including but not limited to your name and home institution, for the purposes of promoting IFSA programs.
- Compliance with Legal Obligations. We will share your information with law enforcement, government officials, regulatory agencies, or other parties when we are required to do so by applicable law. We will also disclose your information to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena, or legal process.
- Protection of Individual’s Vital Interests. In emergency situations, we will use or share your information when doing so is necessary to protect an interest that is essential for an individual’s life.
- Other Legitimate Interests. We will use and disclose your information when necessary for IFSA’s legitimate interests, as long as such interests are not overridden by our users’ interests, rights, and freedoms with respect to their Personal Data.
We use reasonable precautions to protect your Personal Data and voluntarily abide by the guidelines outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act to maintain your privacy.
How To Withdraw Your Consent
At any time, you may withdraw consent you have provided to IFSA for using, disclosing, or otherwise processing your Personal Data. You may withdraw your consent by emailing IFSA at firstname.lastname@example.org, and following the instructions in our communication to you.
Please note that your withdrawal of consent to process certain Personal Data about you (1) may limit our ability to deliver services to you and (2) does not affect the lawfulness of our processing activities based on your consent before its withdrawal.
IFSA also uses standard internet technology, such as web beacons and similar technologies, to track your use of our website or to track your response to email messages that we send you in connection with our website. Web beacons (sometimes called transparent GIFs, clear GIFs, or web bugs) are small strings of code that provide a way for us to deliver a small graphic image on a web page or in an email. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page where the web beacon is placed. IFSA may use web beacons to improve your experience with our website, including to provide you with content customized to your interests and to understand whether users read email messages and click on links contained within those messages so that the website can deliver relevant content. Our web beacons may collect some contact information (for example, the email address associated with an email message that contains a web beacon).
We also work with third parties, such as Facebook and Twitter, to collect certain user data through our website for the purposes of conversion tracking and serving ads targeted to users’ interests. The information we share with these services does not include any specific information relating to your application to an IFSA program or your Personal Data. Should you wish to opt out of such tracking, please modify your browser settings or modify your privacy settings within Facebook and Twitter to disable interest-based advertising and tracking.
Links to Other Websites
You have the following rights under the GDPR:
- To access the Personal Data we maintain about you
- To be provided with information about how we process your Personal Data
- To correct your Personal Data
- To have your Personal Data erased
- To object to or restrict how we process your Personal Data
- To request your Personal Data to be transferred to a third party
To exercise the above rights, please contact us at the information provided below. We will consider and process your request within a reasonable period of time. Please be aware that under certain circumstances, the GDPR may limit your exercise of these rights.
Retention of Personal Data
We will retain your Personal Data only as long as necessary to process request or other submission, fulfill the terms of our service contract with you, and comply with applicable law.
Security of Personal Data
Unfortunately, no data transmitted over or accessible through the internet can be guaranteed to be secure. As a result, while we attempt to protect all Personal Data, we cannot ensure or warrant that Personal Data will be completely secure from misappropriation by hackers or from other nefarious or criminal activities, or in the event of a failure of computer hardware, software, or a telecommunications network. In accordance with applicable law(s), we will notify you in the event we become aware of a security breach involving your Personal Data stored by or for us.
How to File a Complaint
Additionally, Data Subjects from the EEA may file a complaint with a EU data protection authorities (DPAs). A list of DPAs from the European Commision may be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/document.cfm?action=display&doc_id=50061.
You may also contact us to be directed to the appropriate DPA contact(s).
Changing Your Information or Opting Out of IFSA Communications
The Personal Data collected about you through our online applications and in our communications with you is stored in our internal database and can be updated or modified at any time by calling 800-858-0229 or emailing email@example.com. We do not sell or share user information with third parties without an association to IFSA.
If you wish to no longer receive all communications from IFSA, you may opt out by contacting us at 800-858-0229, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at:
6201 Corporate Drive, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46278
The IFSA website is not intended for visitors under the age of 13 and IFSA does not solicit or intentionally collect information from children under the age of 13. If IFSA determines that it has inadvertently collected information from visitors under the age of 13, we will take prompt action to remove such information.
Changes to this Policy
All textual, graphic, and other content appearing on this website are the property of the Institute for Study Abroad (“IFSA”). Copyright 2004-2018. Institute for Study Abroad, 6201 Corporate Drive, Suite 200, Indianapolis, Indiana 46278 USA. All Rights Reserved.