4 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
- Summer: 1-Apr
About Advanced Language and Culture in Buenos Aires
Spend your summer studying the rich culture, history and literature of Argentina, living in the distinct urban sophistication of Buenos Aires. Museums, opera and cinemas mix comfortably with the sounds of soccer, Zumba, and Tai Chi in the city's welcoming plazas and parks, waiting for you to dive right in.
Advanced Language and Culture in Buenos Aires Benefits
- Study on an outstanding program courses specially designed for IFSA students located at the oldest public university in Argentina
- Take classes four days per week to allow extra time for volunteer work or cultural activities around the city
- Convenient access to Buenos Aires, a dynamic city with unlimited things to see and do
- Opportunity to fulfill degree requirements and improve your Spanish in a vibrant location
- Available for advanced Spanish speakers
- Program courses conducted in Spanish by Argentine faculty
- Take Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture courses and choose at least one optional program course: Latin American and Argentine Literature or Argentine History
- Academic advisors are available thorughout the semester
What our students say
How Immersing Myself in the Buenos Aires Theatre Scene Made My Abroad Experience Special
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Advanced Language and Culture in Buenos Aires
- Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture: This is an intensive advanced-level language course conducted in Spanish by Argentine professors. It meets for 45 contact hours over the course of the summer. Four previous semesters of college-level Spanish or equivalent is required.
- Latin American and Argentine Literature: Focusing on the 20th century, this course provides students with a survey of important and influential literature produced by Argentine and Latin American authors. This class is designed to increase students’ literary knowledge, develop deeper contextual and theoretical understanding, and analyze relationships between the texts and Latin American social and cultural processes. This class is conducted in Spanish and meets for 45 contact hours. Four previous semesters of college-level Spanish or equivalent is required.
- Argentine History: This course examines basic sociocultural history texts in order to develop a general comprehension of contemporary Argentine history. A brief survey of Argentine colonial history through independence prepares students for the radical events of the 20th century, which have greatly influenced Argentina’s path through modern history. This class is conducted in Spanish and meets for 45 contact hours. Four previous semesters of college-level Spanish or equivalent is required.
Examples of places where students can be placed:
- Pilotos Solidarios (medical assistance trips)
- Pecohue Farm (urban organic farm)
- Soup kitchen
In addition to the formal Spanish class, our program organizes one-on-one tutoring sessions for students throughout the summer, which can be scheduled at various time during the week. Just speak with a local IFSA staff person if you'd like to utilize this included service.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!