5 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
What does this mean?
Scholarships, grants, financial aid, monthly payment plan, credit card payments and more!
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: November 1—Extended to November 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Argentine Universities Program
Buenos Aires offers the best of big-city living with fascinating social and economic dynamics. Mix and match classes between the largest, most prestigious university in Argentina and smaller universities offering intimate experiences. Enjoy world-class theater, music, film, sports, and museums, or simply people-watch while sipping coffee at a sidewalk café.
Argentine Universities Program Benefits
- Create your own academic focus by mixing-and-matching courses at the following universities: Universidad Católica Argentina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Universidad del Salvador and Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Invaluable access to leading organizations, experts in your field of study, and academic resources, including archives of research
- Integrated university classes with local degree-seeking students
- All classes taught in Spanish by Argentine university professors
- Extensive volunteer opportunities with local NGOs and social service organizations
- Fieldwork experiences available for credit through specialized assignments
- Option to participate in IFSA's Exploring Community & Culture program
- Engage with the community through an excursion to Colonia and Uruguay
What our students say
Living My Goals in Argentina
How Immersing Myself in the Buenos Aires Theatre Scene Made My Abroad Experience Special
First Generation Abroad
The IFSA Difference
Your success is our success! Whatever your goals, our approach is carefully designed to help you achieve them.
You will experience challenging, rewarding coursework in the highest quality classes, while receiving the academic support you need.
More than a tourist in a foreign country, you will engage in the community, build competencies, and develop yourself as a citizen of the world.
Our programs and practices reflect the value we place on diverse perspectives and are designed to support a variety of learners.
Round out your classroom experience with hands-on opportunities like internships, directed research, student teaching, community-based learning or volunteering, and cultural excursions.
You will have academic and personal mentors to assist with program choice, application, travel, cultural acclimation, language acquisition, class registration, academic issues, health and safety, and everything in between.
Academics at Argentine Universities Program
The general academic program within the Argentine Universities Program combines specialized IFSA designed program courses with Argentine university courses taken alongside local, degree-seeking students. Take the mandatory Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture, designed exclusively for IFSA participants, and choose an optional program course (worth 3 U.S. semester credits each) from the following:
- Society and State in Contemporary Argentina
- Argentine Foreign Policy
- Argentine and Latin American Literature
- Art and Politics in Contemporary Argentina From an Intercultural Perspective
- Fictions of the Present: Literature and Cinema in Argentine after 2000
- Peronist Argentina
Sample Schedule 1:
- IFSA Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture (3 U.S. semester credits)
- IFSA Argentine Foreign Policy (3 U.S. semester credits)
- Compared Political Systems 1 (Universidad del Salvador; 3 U.S. semester credits)
- Spanish Literature 2 (Universidad Católica Argentina, 3 U.S. semester credits)
- Tango and Culture Workshop (Universidad del Salvador; 3 U.S. semester credits)
Sample Schedule 2:
- IFSA Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture (3 U.S. semester credits)
- International Security (Universidad de Buenos Aires; 6 U.S. semester credits)
- History of Hispanic-American Art (Universidad Católica Argentina; 3 U.S. semester credits)
- Creativity 1 (Universidad del Salvador; U.S. semester credits)
As our student, you may enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and space is available at any of the four Argentine universities offered on the AUP. Please see information below for a list of departments open to IFSA students. While course descriptions may be found online, course syllabi may not be available until the beginning of your semester. If a particular course you are looking for is not listed, or if you are having trouble navigating a university's website, contact your program advisor for assistance.
Also, keep in mind:
- Yearlong courses (anual) are open only to students who plan on taking both semesters of the course.
- 1 semestre (S1) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. spring semester.
- 2 semestre (S2) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. fall semester.
Universidad Católica Argentina
- Click here to access UCA's online course catalog.
- Select a subject of interest (i.e. Ciencias Politicas). Make sure to only select subjects from the section titled "Carerras de Grado, Buenos Aires."
- Click on "Ver el detalle del Plan de estudios" to obtain a list of courses.
The following UCA departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Ciencias Políticas: Ciencia Política and Relaciones Internacionales
- Facultad de Filosofía y Letras: Literatura, Historia and Filosofía
- Facultad de Psicología y Educación: Psicología, Psicopedagogía and Educación
- Instituto de Comunicación Social, Periodismo y Publicidad: Publicidad and Periodismo
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Ciencias Sociales
- Click here to access UBA-CS's online course catalog.
- Departments are listed in the header at the top of the page. Double click on the department where you would like to take classes (i.e. Ciencias Politicas).**
- Select "Académicas."
- Click on "Programas" to view a list of courses.
- If available, you can obtain syllabus by clicking on the document icon corresponding to the correct academic year.
The following UBA-CS departments are open to IFSA students:
- Ciencia política
- Ciencias de la Comunicación
- Relaciones del Trabajo
- Trabajo Social
**You can also view the curricular ladder for each major by returning to the Facultad de Ciencias Sociales home page, click on one of the majors listed at the top of the page, and then click on "Plan de estudios." When the page loads, you can click "Ver Plan de estudios" to view the curricular ladder.
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
- Click here to access UBA-FL's online course catalog.
- Choose an area of study that interests you and click on it.
- To see course offerings, click on "Plan de estudios."
- To see syllabi (when available), click on “Programas y horarios,” “Programación,” or “Asignaturas,” depending on the options given for that major.
The following UBA-FL departments are open to IFSA students: Letras, Geografía, Artes, Filosofía, Antropología, Ciencias de la Educación, Historia
Universidad del Salvador
- Click here to access USAL's online course catalog.
- Click on a facultad that interests you (i.e. Facultad de Ciencias Sociales).
- Choose a subject and click on it to see the course listings.
- For most subjects, only a list of courses will appear. For others, short descriptions or syllabi may be available if you click on the course title.
The following USAL departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Historia, Filosofía y Letras: Letras, Lengua Inglesa, Interpretación de Conferencias en Inglés, Traductorado Público de Inglés, Traductorado Científico Literario de Inglés, Historia, Ciencias Ambientales, Gestión de Historia de las Artes and Filosofía
- Facultad de Ciencias Sociales: Ciencia Política, Sociología, Relaciones Internacionales and Servicio Social
- Facultad de Ciencias de la Administración: Administración, Comercialización, Administración de Recursos Humanos, Sistemas de Información
- Facultad de Artes de Teatro: Escenografía and Arte Dramático
- Facultad de Psicología: Psicología and Psicopedagogía
- Escuela de Diseño: Diseño Gráfico
- Escuela de Estudios Orientales: Estudios Orientales
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Click here to access UTDT's online course catalog.
- Scroll down and select the major you are interested in. This will download a PDF of the courses offered. You should pay close attention to which semester the courses are offered during.**
The following departments are open to IFSA students: Departamento de Economía, Escuela de Negocios, Departamento de Ciencia Política, Departamento de Estudios Internacionales, Escuela de Historia, Departamento de Derecho.
**Disregard the instructions for international students that appear on this page. All communication should be with IFSA, not UTDT.
Students who participate on the Argentine Universities Program (AUP) come from diverse academic backgrounds, with many individualized majors or areas of academic interest. If you are looking for a more prescribed academic experience, consider one of our topics-based programs in AUP:
Volunteering while studying abroad in Buenos Aires is an enriching experience, both personally and academically. Students report that even volunteering a few hours per week enhanced their study abroad experience by providing them with access to the local culture and a deeper understanding of problems that face Argentines on a daily basis. If you are interested in participating in volunteer work, you can attend an informational session at the start of the semester in which the on-site volunteer coordinator will give a presentation on the different options and requirements for each organization. IFSA has prepared a list of places where you can volunteer to do social service. While this is purely optional, a commitment on your part is needed in order to arrange a placement. Volunteering does not earn academic credit and will not appear on your Butler University transcript. Examples of places where students may volunteer:
- Democracia Representativa seeks to strengthen representative democracy in Argentina.
- ADEPRA works to rescue stray animals.
- Pilotos Solidarios: provides general and medical assistance to isolated rural communities.
- Maguen Avot tutors school children.
- Dando A Luz is an organization that promotes reproductive rights.
- Cicerones promotes beauty and cultural diversity of Buenos Aires.
- AMARTYA is dedicated to promoting social responsibility.
- PANAACEA is a program for austistic children and their families.
- Riesgo Cero was created to provide sexual and reproductive health and HIV/AIDS prevention information.
- Sociedad de Integración Gay Lésbica Argentina works to promote the social integration of the GLBT community in Buenos Aires.
- Donar Sangre da Vida provides information and support to children with cancer and their families.
- CARE promotes equal access to communication and information technology.
- Proyectarte seeks to promote and spread art created by young Argentine artists.
- Campus Travel is a travel agency for student travelers.
This is just a sample of the volunteer opportunities available to our students, and these may change from semester to semester. If you have specific interests, please discuss them with your program advisor, who can research other opportunities that may be available in your area of interest. Your program advisor can help you determine opportunities that fit your interests (if they are not listed above), but you will not sign up for a volunteer placement until orientation.
A particularly strong feature of the AUP program is our onsite academic advisors-- or, in Spanish, tutores. These are Argentine graduate students or university graduates who represent a variety of disciplines, including literature, politics, history, economics and sociology. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires you'll be assigned an academic advisor to help you select an appropriate load of classes during the program orientation and meet with on a monthly basis.
After you return to the U.S., IFSA will send a Butler University transcript to your home university and to your permanent address. The transcript reflects the courses taken, credits attempted, and grades earned during your term abroad. This service is included in your study abroad program at no additional cost.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!