5 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
Scholarships, grants, financial aid, monthly payment plan, credit card payments and more!
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: November 1
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About AUP - Cinema in Argentina
Do you want to examine social issues through the creation of audiovisual art? Experience Argentina's passion for cinema. Join students from across Latin America to study at the prestigious Fundacion Universidad del Cine. This immersive program combines university coursework with rotating film production workshops where you create your own film while observing Argentine movies.
AUP - Cinema in Argentina Benefits
- Gain valuable experience while participating in an eight-week, hands-on experience at a local NGO shooting images for a short film
- Introduction to the Practice and Analysis of Argentine Film program course consists of rotating workshops and filming exercises
- With this program, you have access to lectures, film screenings, exhibitions and exercises with Argentine students
- Take a program course designed exclusively for IFSA students: Advanced Spanish Language and Argentine Culture, with an emphasis on Argentine Film
- Explore areas such as Colonia and Uruguay during an organized excursion with other program participants
- Academic tutors are available throughout the semester
The IFSA Difference
Your success is our success! Whatever your goals, our approach is carefully designed to help you achieve them.
You will experience challenging, rewarding coursework in the highest quality classes, while receiving the academic support you need.
More than a tourist in a foreign country, you will engage in the community, build competencies, and develop yourself as a citizen of the world.
Our programs and practices reflect the value we place on diverse perspectives and are designed to support a variety of learners.
Round out your classroom experience with hands-on opportunities like internships, directed research, student teaching, community-based learning or volunteering, and cultural excursions.
You will have academic and personal mentors to assist with program choice, application, travel, cultural acclimation, language acquisition, class registration, academic issues, health and safety, and everything in between.
Academics at AUP – Cinema in Argentina
The following courses courses are required for the Cinema in Argentina program with the remainder of your courseload directly-enrolled with locals at our partner universities (see below):
- Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture (3 U.S. semester credit hours) The objective of this mandatory program class is to enrich the knowledge of Spanish language in the following four areas: oral comprehension, oral expression, written expression and reading comprehension while analyzing the cultural context in which the language was developed and is currently spoken.
- Introduction to Contemporary Argentine Film (3 U.S. semester credit hours) Argentina contemporary film production, both in the field of fiction and documentary, has grown in quantity and has also seen a development that results in a variety of models and shapes. Argentine cinema has won a large number of prizes at international festivals and is recognized by the public. This seminar will investigate the Argentina film production with the goal of immersing students in concrete forms of audiovisual practices.
- Representations of Buenos Aires (4 U.S. semester credit hours) Cinema was born with cities. The city of Buenos Aires is a space in which dreams and materialities intertwine, come close, then separate, and then come into conflict. This seminar proposes that participants complete three successive audiovisual works reflecting different aspects of the city of Buenos Aires as viewed and experienced by the participants.
The Cinema in Argentina program combines those specialized IFSA program courses with Argentine university courses taken alongside local, degree-seeking students.Please see the information below for a list of departments that are open to IFSA students. While many course descriptions may be found online, course syllabi may not be available until the beginning of your semester. If a particular course you are looking for is not listed, or if you are having trouble navigating a university's website, contact your program advisor for assistance.
Also, keep in mind:
- Yearlong courses (anual) are open only to students who plan on taking both semesters of the course.
- 1 semestre (S1) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. spring semester.
- 2 semestre (S2) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. fall semester.
Fundación Universidad del Cine (Cinema in Argentina students only)
- Click here to access the university's online course catalog.
- A subject list appears on the lefthand side of the screen. Click on a subject that interests you (i.e. Artes Visuales).
- Click on "Plan de Estudios" under the box "Titulo Comunicador..." or "Titulo Licenciado..." for a list of courses and descriptions (if available).
The following Fundación Universidad del Cine departments are open to IFSA students:
- Comunicacion: Artes Visuales, Diseño Gráfico and Procesos Educativos
- Facultad de Cinematografía: Dirección Cinematográfica, Guión Cinematográfico, Iluminación y Cámara Cinematográficas, Escenografía y Vestuario Cinematográficos/as, Compaginación Cinematográfica, Producción Cinematográfica
Universidad Católica Argentina
- Click here to access UCA's online course catalog.
- Select a subject of interest (i.e. Ciencias Politicas). Make sure to only select subjects from the section titled "Carerras de Grado, Buenos Aires."
- Next, click on "Ver el detalle del Plan de estudios" to obtain a list of courses.
The following UCA departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Ciencias Políticas: Ciencia Política and Relaciones Internacionales
- Facultad de Filosofía y Letras: Literatura, Historia and Filosofía
- Facultad de Psicología y Educación: Psicología, Psicopedagogía and Educación
- Instituto de Comunicación Social, Periodismo y Publicidad: Publicidad and Periodismo
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Ciencias Sociales
- Click here to access UBA-CS's online course catalog.
- Departments are listed in the header at the top of the page. Double click on the department where you would like to take classes (i.e. Ciencias Politicas).**
- Next, select "Académicas."
- Click on "Programas" to view a list of courses.
- If available, you can obtain syllabus by clicking on the document icon corresponding to the correct academic year.
The following UBA-CS departments are open to IFSA students: Sociología, Ciencia política, Ciencias de la Comunicación, Relaciones del Trabajo, Trabajo Social
**You can also view the curricular ladder for each major by returning to the Facultad de Ciencias Sociales home page, click on one of the majors listed at the top of the page, and then click on "Plan de estudios." When the page loads, you can click "Ver Plan de estudios" to view.
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
- Click here to access UBA-FL's online course catalog.
- Choose an area of study that interests you and click on it.
- To see course offerings, click on "Plan de estudios."
- To see syllabi (when available), click on “Programas y horarios,” “Programación,” or “Asignaturas,” depending on the options given for that major.
The following UBA-FL departments are open to IFSA students: Letras, Geografía, Artes, Filosofía, Antropología, Ciencias de la Educación, Historia
Universidad del Salvador
- Click here to access USAL's online course catalog.
- Click on a facultad that interests you (i.e. Facultad de Ciencias Sociales).
- Choose a subject and click on it to see the course listings.
- For most subjects, only a list of courses will appear. For others, short descriptions or syllabi may be available if you click on the course title.
The following USAL departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Historia, Filosofía y Letras: Letras, Lengua Inglesa, Interpretación de Conferencias en Inglés, Traductorado Público de Inglés, Traductorado Científico Literario de Inglés, Historia, Ciencias Ambientales, Gestión de Historia de las Artes and Filosofía
- Facultad de Ciencias Sociales: Ciencia Política, Sociología, Relaciones Internacionales and Servicio Social
- Facultad de Ciencias de la Administración: Administración, Comercialización, Administración de Recursos Humanos, Sistemas de Información
- Facultad de Artes de Teatro: Escenografía and Arte Dramático
- Facultad de Psicología: Psicología and Psicopedagogía
- Escuela de Diseño: Diseño Gráfico
- Escuela de Estudios Orientales: Estudios Orientales
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Click here to access UTDT's online course catalog.
- Scroll down and select the major you are interested in. This will download a PDF of the courses offered. You should pay close attention to which semester the courses are offered during.**
The following departments are open to IFSA students: Departamento de Economía, Escuela de Negocios, Departamento de Ciencia Política, Departamento de Estudios Internacionales, Escuela de Historia, Departamento de Derecho.
**Disregard the instructions for international students that appear on this page. All communication should be with IFSA, not UTDT.
Volunteering while studying abroad in Buenos Aires is an enriching experience, both personally and academically. Students report that even volunteering a few hours per week enhanced their study abroad experience by providing them with access to the local culture and a deeper understanding of problems that face Argentines on a daily basis. If you are interested in participating in volunteer work, you can attend an informational session at the start of the semester in which the on-site volunteer coordinator will give a presentation on the different options and requirements for each organization. IFSA has prepared a list of places where you can volunteer to do social service. While this is purely optional, a commitment on your part is needed in order to arrange a placement. Volunteering does not earn academic credit and will not appear on your Butler University transcript. Examples of places where students may volunteer:
- Natan Gesang Primary School: teaches students English
- Pecohue Organic farm for Social Inclusion: promotes the social inclusion of young people with psychological and psychiatric issues.
- Creaidea: works towards positive development and social inclusion of children with a high IQ.
- Sociedad de Integracón Gay Lésbica Argentina: works to promote the social integration of the GLBT community in Buenos Aires.
- Maguen Avot: tutors school children.
- Donor Sangre Da Vida: provides information and support to children with cancer and their families. They hold events, campaigns, dancing workshops for children, and magazines.
- Caminantes: helps the homeless recover in any area they might need: to get a job, to have psychological support, legal support, to overcome addictions, etc.
- Fundación Leer: (literacy) encourages children to read and not to abandon primary school.
- Arte y Esperanza: Fair trade.
- Fundación Discar: holds workshops for people with Down Syndrome.
This is just a sample of the volunteer opportunities available to our students, and these may change from semester to semester. If you have specific interests, please discuss them with your program advisor, who can research other opportunities that may be available in your area of interest. Your program advisor can help you determine opportunities that fit your interests (if they are not listed above), but you will not sign up for a volunteer placement until orientation.
A particularly strong feature of the AUP program is our onsite academic advisors-- or, in Spanish, tutores. These are Argentine graduate students or university graduates who represent a variety of disciplines, including literature, politics, history, economics and sociology. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires you'll be assigned an academic advisor to help you select an appropriate load of classes during the program orientation and meet with on a monthly basis.
After you return to the U.S., IFSA will send a Butler University transcript to your home university and to your permanent address. The transcript reflects the courses taken, credits attempted, and grades earned during your term abroad. This service is included in your study abroad program at no additional cost.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!