5 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
- Fall: April 1-Ectended April 15
- Spring: November 1
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About AUP - Directed Research in Argentina
What are you passionate about? Do you want to study the underground art scene or how politics affects daily life? An expert in your field will work one-on-one with you to design a research project and develop your research and writing skills. You might go on to publish or present your work.
AUP - Directed Research in Argentina Benefits
- Gain valuable educational experience working with a research director to complete a directed research project
- Explore a topic that you are passionate about and prepare for your senior thesis/capstone through high-level individualized research
- Take specially designed program courses and integrated university classes with local degree-seeking students
- Convenient access to a dynamic city with unlimited things to see and do
- Opportunity to improve your Spanish in a vibrant location
- Examples of Past Directed Research Projects
- Literature and Gender within the last Dictatorship (1976-1983)
- Poverty and Public Health in Argentina
- Explore areas such as Colonia and Uruguay during an organized excursion with other program participants
- Academic advisors and tutors are available
What our students say
Homestay: First Impressions
How One First-Gen Student Prepared to Study Abroad
Men are the Minority— Why Men Aren’t Studying Abroad
Make the Most of the Mom in your Host Mom
How to Believe in God in Buenos Aires
Café Musts in Buenos Aires
Queer Tango: Being LGBTQ+ in Buenos Aires, Argentina
STEM Majors Abroad — Making it Happen
Heritage Speakers in the Land of Porteños
La Universidad De Buenos Aires: They Do What?!
How You Can Do Directed Research Abroad
Facing Disabilities Abroad: A Few Steps
Dear First Generation College Student, You’re Gonna Be Okay
What the Food in Buenos Aires Taught Me About My Latina Identity
4 Ways to Make the Most of Study Abroad on a Budget
DON’T Do it for the Insta: Misconceptions of Study Abroad
Discovering My Not-So-Neutral Identity
How 3 Students Got Their Parents on Board for Study Abroad
IFSA & Me: Navigating Identity and Study Abroad-A Digital Story
Let Study Abroad Push Your Limits – A Digital Story
Meet the Buenos Aires Staff
Mythbusters: 3 Ways Collegiate Athletes CAN Study Abroad for a Semester
Six Tips Every Diabetic Should Read Before Studying Abroad
Skipping the American Center Abroad: Why I Chose to Immerse Myself in a Latin American University
Study Abroad is More than Stamps on a Passport – A Digital Story
WV to BA: A Trip from One Ideology to Another
Buenos Aires Will Be Unforgettable
The Top 5 Ways I can Leverage My Study Abroad Experience as a Science Professional
Reentry: The Rough and Ruthless Truth
Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free in Buenos Aires
4 Mindsets for Getting Through the First Weeks of Study Abroad
? Hellooo Buenos Aires ?
Celebrating 21 years of Life in Argentina
Breadsexuals & Other Gay Updates
Being Home & Reflections
4 Things I Wish I’d Known Before My Family Came to Visit
I’m as Free as My Hair
Sweet Home Argentina: Finding Family Abroad
Why Cultural Differences are the Best Part of Study Abroad
Finding The World Within You – A Digital Story
The Stories Not Told By Social Media – A Digital Story
Dancing Across Cultures
How I Came to Hear Myself – A Digital Story
Into the Unknown
Redefining Center and Coming Home
The Jewish Side of Buenos Aires
Coffee Burns in International Waters: A Painful Yet Thankful IFSA Moment
How Studying Abroad Gave Me Three “Last Days” in Argentina
Music from Abroad
The Argentine and I: A Digital Story
On the Brink of Something Big
Identity During Study Abroad: A Digital Story
Sohee’s Story: A Digital Story
Apples and Tea
The IFSA-Butler Difference
Academics at AUP – Directed Research in Argentina
- Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture: (3 U.S. semester credit hours) The objective of this mandatory program class is to enrich the knowledge of Spanish language in the following four areas: oral comprehension, oral expression, written expression and reading comprehension while analyzing the cultural context in which the language was developed and is currently spoken.
- Research Methodology Seminar: (6 U.S. semester credit hours)This course provides students with the theoretical and practical tools required to conduct a research study which, in this particular case, will address Argentine social reality. During the course of the research project, students will focus on a series of topics including framing a working hypothesis, searching for bibliographical material, analyzing primary and secondary sources, fieldwork, evaluating the data collected and presenting the conclusions.
Also, keep in mind:
- Yearlong courses (anual) are open only to students who plan on taking both semesters of the course.
- 1 semestre (S1) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. spring semester.
- 2 semestre (S2) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. fall semester.
Universidad Católica Argentina
- Click here to access UCA's online course catalog.
- Select a subject of interest (i.e. Ciencias Politicas). Make sure to only select subjects from the section titled "Carerras de Grado, Buenos Aires."
- Next, click on "Ver el detalle del Plan de estudios" to obtain a list of courses.
The following UCA departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Ciencias Políticas: Ciencia Política and Relaciones Internacionales
- Facultad de Filosofía y Letras: Literatura, Historia and Filosofía
- Facultad de Psicología y Educación: Psicología, Psicopedagogía and Educación
- Instituto de Comunicación Social, Periodismo y Publicidad: Publicidad and Periodismo
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Ciencias Sociales
- Click here to access UBA-CS's online course catalog.
- Departments are listed in the header at the top of the page. Double click on the department where you would like to take classes (i.e. Ciencias Politicas).**
- Next, select "Académicas."
- Click on "Programas" to view a list of courses.
- If available, you can obtain syllabus by clicking on the document icon corresponding to the correct academic year.
The following UBA-CS departments are open to IFSA students: Sociología, Ciencia política, Ciencias de la Comunicación, Relaciones del Trabajo, Trabajo Social
**You can also view the curricular ladder for each major by returning to the Facultad de Ciencias Sociales home page, click on one of the majors listed at the top of the page, and then click on "Plan de estudios." When the page loads, you can click "Ver Plan de estudios" to view.
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
- Click here to access UBA-FL's online course catalog.
- Choose an area of study that interests you and click on it.
- To see course offerings, click on "Plan de estudios."
- To see syllabi (when available), click on “Programas y horarios,” “Programación,” or “Asignaturas,” depending on the options given for that major.
The following UBA-FL departments are open to IFSA students: Letras, Geografía, Artes, Filosofía, Antropología, Ciencias de la Educación, Historia
Universidad del Salvador
- Click here to access USAL's online course catalog.
- Click on a facultad that interests you (i.e. Facultad de Ciencias Sociales).
- Choose a subject and click on it to see the course listings.
- For most subjects, only a list of courses will appear. For others, short descriptions or syllabi may be available if you click on the course title.
The following USAL departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Historia, Filosofía y Letras: Letras, Lengua Inglesa, Interpretación de Conferencias en Inglés, Traductorado Público de Inglés, Traductorado Científico Literario de Inglés, Historia, Ciencias Ambientales, Gestión de Historia de las Artes and Filosofía
- Facultad de Ciencias Sociales: Ciencia Política, Sociología, Relaciones Internacionales and Servicio Social
- Facultad de Ciencias de la Administración: Administración, Comercialización, Administración de Recursos Humanos, Sistemas de Información
- Facultad de Artes de Teatro: Escenografía and Arte Dramático
- Facultad de Psicología: Psicología and Psicopedagogía
- Escuela de Diseño: Diseño Gráfico
- Escuela de Estudios Orientales: Estudios Orientales
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Click here to access UTDT's online course catalog.
- Scroll down and select the major you are interested in. This will download a PDF of the courses offered. You should pay close attention to which semester the courses are offered during.**
The following departments are open to IFSA students: Departamento de Economía, Escuela de Negocios, Departamento de Ciencia Política, Departamento de Estudios Internacionales, Escuela de Historia, Departamento de Derecho.
**Disregard the instructions for international students that appear on this page. All communication should be with IFSA, not UTDT.
Volunteering while studying abroad in Buenos Aires is an enriching experience, both personally and academically. Students report that even volunteering a few hours per week enhanced their study abroad experience by providing them with access to the local culture and a deeper understanding of problems that face Argentines on a daily basis. If you are interested in participating in volunteer work, you can attend an informational session at the start of the semester in which the on-site volunteer coordinator will give a presentation on the different options and requirements for each organization. IFSA has prepared a list of places where you can volunteer to do social service. While this is purely optional, a commitment on your part is needed in order to arrange a placement. Volunteering does not earn academic credit and will not appear on your Butler University transcript. Examples of places where students may volunteer:
- Natan Gesang Primary School: teaches students English
- Pecohue Organic farm for Social Inclusion: promotes the social inclusion of young people with psychological and psychiatric issues.
- Creaidea: works towards positive development and social inclusion of children with a high IQ.
- Sociedad de Integracón Gay Lésbica Argentina: works to promote the social integration of the GLBT community in Buenos Aires.
- Maguen Avot: tutors school children.
- Donor Sangre Da Vida: provides information and support to children with cancer and their families. They hold events, campaigns, dancing workshops for children, and magazines.
- Caminantes: helps the homeless recover in any area they might need: to get a job, to have psychological support, legal support, to overcome addictions, etc.
- Fundación Leer: (literacy) encourages children to read and not to abandon primary school.
- Arte y Esperanza: Fair trade.
- Fundación Discar: holds workshops for people with Down Syndrome.
A particularly strong feature of the AUP program is our onsite academic advisors-- or, in Spanish, tutores. These are Argentine graduate students or university graduates who represent a variety of disciplines, including literature, politics, history, economics and sociology. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires you'll be assigned an academic advisor to help you select an appropriate load of classes during the program orientation and meet with on a monthly basis.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA-Butler Team
IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team and staff who are here to help every student prepare and be ready to achieve their goals at every step of the way.