4 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
What does this mean?
- Fall: April 1—Extended to April 15
- Spring: November 1
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About AUP - Literature in Argentina
Take your love of literature to the next level! Join Professor Martin Kohan, award winning author of Dos veces junio to examine the works of Borges, Cortázar, and Puig, and more. Their words call you to Buenos Aires to sit in their favorite cafes, while you intern in a publishing house or delve into a writing workshop.
AUP - Literature in Argentina Benefits
- Focus on creative writing, journalism, literary translation and editing where you will learn firsthand from Dr. Martín Kohan, renowned Argentine author and recipient of the Premio Herralde de Novela
- Take specially designed program courses and integrated university classes with local degree-seeking students
- Participate in various cultural activities such as visiting the Book Fair and other literary events, films, theater and contemporary music shows
- Courses approach literature from different perspectives to gain a deeper perspective
- Academic advisors and tutors are available
What our students say
Living My Goals in Argentina
A Volunteer, Volunteering Abroad
How Immersing Myself in the Buenos Aires Theatre Scene Made My Abroad Experience Special
First Generation Abroad
How Working For An NGO In Argentina Strengthened My Spanish Language Abilities
IFSA Interview Series: Literature in Argentina
Seeing Through A Different Lens: The Benefits of Studying Abroad as an LGBTQ Student
The Study Abroad Essentials: A Passport, A Frisbee and A Pair of Boxing Gloves
My Home-Stay Experience: From Terrified to Incredibly Grateful
IFSA Interview Series: Cinema in Argentina
Navigating Race, Gender, Class, and Nationality in Buenos Aires
The IFSA Difference
Academics at AUP – Literature in Argentina
These required courses comprise the main curriculum for the Literature in Argentina program (3 U.S. semester credits each):
- Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture: The objective of this mandatory program class is to enrich the knowledge of Spanish language in the following four areas: oral comprehension, oral expression, written expression and reading comprehension while analyzing the cultural context in which the language was developed and is currently spoken.
- Topics in Contemporary Argentine Literature: This course introduces students to some of the fundamental authors and texts of 20th century Argentine literature so that, notwithstanding the need to restrict the covered corpus, the students will have a representative and varied view of such literary production.
- Seminar in Literary Studies Methodology: Two options are available to students: hands-on training through a fieldwork experience (at a publishing company or a cultural magazine) or a writing workshop with local Argentine authors. In both cases, the practical work in the workshop or fieldwork experience is supported by methodological reflection aimed at contextualizing the practical experience and preparing students for a final paper in which they analyze their experiences, their initial objectives, the challenges they faced, and their achievements.
Also, keep in mind:
- Yearlong courses (anual) are open only to students who plan on taking both semesters of the course.
- 1 semestre (S1) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. spring semester.
- 2 semestre (S2) or cuatrimestre is equal to U.S. fall semester.
Universidad Católica Argentina
- Click here to access UCA's online course catalog.
- Select a subject of interest (i.e. Ciencias Politicas). Make sure to only select subjects from the section titled "Carerras de Grado, Buenos Aires."
- Next, click on "Ver el detalle del Plan de estudios" to obtain a list of courses.
The following UCA departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Ciencias Políticas: Ciencia Política and Relaciones Internacionales
- Facultad de Filosofía y Letras: Literatura, Historia and Filosofía
- Facultad de Psicología y Educación: Psicología, Psicopedagogía and Educación
- Instituto de Comunicación Social, Periodismo y Publicidad: Publicidad and Periodismo
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Ciencias Sociales
- Click here to access UBA-CS's online course catalog.
- Departments are listed in the header at the top of the page. Double click on the department where you would like to take classes (i.e. Ciencias Politicas).**
- Next, select "Académicas."
- Click on "Programas" to view a list of courses.
- If available, you can obtain syllabus by clicking on the document icon corresponding to the correct academic year.
The following UBA-CS departments are open to IFSA students: Sociología, Ciencia política, Ciencias de la Comunicación, Relaciones del Trabajo, Trabajo Social
**You can also view the curricular ladder for each major by returning to the Facultad de Ciencias Sociales home page, click on one of the majors listed at the top of the page, and then click on "Plan de estudios." When the page loads, you can click "Ver Plan de estudios" to view.
Universidad de Buenos Aires - Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
- Click here to access UBA-FL's online course catalog.
- Choose an area of study that interests you and click on it.
- To see course offerings, click on "Plan de estudios."
- To see syllabi (when available), click on “Programas y horarios,” “Programación,” or “Asignaturas,” depending on the options given for that major.
The following UBA-FL departments are open to IFSA students: Letras, Geografía, Artes, Filosofía, Antropología, Ciencias de la Educación, Historia
Universidad del Salvador
- Click here to access USAL's online course catalog.
- Click on a facultad that interests you (i.e. Facultad de Ciencias Sociales).
- Choose a subject and click on it to see the course listings.
- For most subjects, only a list of courses will appear. For others, short descriptions or syllabi may be available if you click on the course title.
The following USAL departments are open to IFSA students:
- Facultad de Historia, Filosofía y Letras: Letras, Lengua Inglesa, Interpretación de Conferencias en Inglés, Traductorado Público de Inglés, Traductorado Científico Literario de Inglés, Historia, Ciencias Ambientales, Gestión de Historia de las Artes and Filosofía
- Facultad de Ciencias Sociales: Ciencia Política, Sociología, Relaciones Internacionales and Servicio Social
- Facultad de Ciencias de la Administración: Administración, Comercialización, Administración de Recursos Humanos, Sistemas de Información
- Facultad de Artes de Teatro: Escenografía and Arte Dramático
- Facultad de Psicología: Psicología and Psicopedagogía
- Escuela de Diseño: Diseño Gráfico
- Escuela de Estudios Orientales: Estudios Orientales
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Click here to access UTDT's online course catalog.
- Scroll down and select the major you are interested in. This will download a PDF of the courses offered. You should pay close attention to which semester the courses are offered during.**
The following departments are open to IFSA students: Departamento de Economía, Escuela de Negocios, Departamento de Ciencia Política, Departamento de Estudios Internacionales, Escuela de Historia, Departamento de Derecho.
**Disregard the instructions for international students that appear on this page. All communication should be with IFSA, not UTDT.
As part of the Literacy Studies Methodology seminar, the Literature program provides the option of either fieldwork in a publishing house or writing workshops.
Examples of Fieldwork and Publishing Houses
- Otra Parte (arts and literature)
- Ramona (visual arts)
Volunteering while studying abroad in Buenos Aires is an enriching experience, both personally and academically. Students report that even volunteering a few hours per week enhanced their study abroad experience by providing them with access to the local culture and a deeper understanding of problems that face Argentines on a daily basis. If you are interested in participating in volunteer work, you can attend an informational session at the start of the semester in which the on-site volunteer coordinator will give a presentation on the different options and requirements for each organization. IFSA has prepared a list of places where you can volunteer to do social service. While this is purely optional, a commitment on your part is needed in order to arrange a placement. Volunteering does not earn academic credit and will not appear on your Butler University transcript. Examples of places where students may volunteer:
- Natan Gesang Primary School: teaches students English
- Pecohue Organic farm for Social Inclusion: promotes the social inclusion of young people with psychological and psychiatric issues.
- Creaidea: works towards positive development and social inclusion of children with a high IQ.
- Sociedad de Integracón Gay Lésbica Argentina: works to promote the social integration of the GLBT community in Buenos Aires.
- Maguen Avot: tutors school children.
- Donor Sangre Da Vida: provides information and support to children with cancer and their families. They hold events, campaigns, dancing workshops for children, and magazines.
- Caminantes: helps the homeless recover in any area they might need: to get a job, to have psychological support, legal support, to overcome addictions, etc.
- Fundación Leer: (literacy) encourages children to read and not to abandon primary school.
- Arte y Esperanza: Fair trade.
- Fundación Discar: holds workshops for people with Down Syndrome.
This is just a sample of the volunteer opportunities available to our students, and these may change from semester to semester. If you have specific interests, please discuss them with your program advisor, who can research other opportunities that may be available in your area of interest. Your program advisor can help you determine opportunities that fit your interests (if they are not listed above), but you will not sign up for a volunteer placement until orientation.
A particularly strong feature of the AUP program is our onsite academic advisors-- or, in Spanish, tutores. These are Argentine graduate students or university graduates who represent a variety of disciplines, including literature, politics, history, economics and sociology. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires you'll be assigned an academic advisor to help you select an appropriate load of classes during the program orientation and meet with on a monthly basis.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!