4 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
What does this mean?
- Summer: April 1
About Community Building and Sustainable Development in Peru
Combine the Lima metropolis bustling city life, worldly food fusion, endless cultural and night life with Iquitos, the capital of the Peruvian Amazon, the largest city in the world not reachable by road. Science and culture come together as you study and work with local organizations on environmentally focused community improvement projects.
Community Building and Sustainable Development in Peru Benefits
- Ideal for students interested in Spanish language proficiency, community development and sustainable studies, environmental and biological sciences, and Latin American studies
- Academic and language tutors are available as needed
- Further your knowledge of community action and environmental sustainability, contributing to your increased understanding of the confluence of science and culture
- Study in Coastal Peru in Lima and in Iquitos, part of the Amazonian jungle region, two unique ecological systems
- Work with a non-profit in the Iquitos to gain practical experience abroad and participate in environmentally focused community improvement projects
What our students say
How and Why to Laugh and Embarrass Yourself Abroad
Putting the Peruvian in Peruvian-American
Living Gluten Free in Peru
Hombres Outnumbered: Men Studying Abroad with IFSA
How To Navigate Course Enrollment in Peru
Peru, Biology and Biochemistry: Tips for Studying Abroad
Pyramids, Plazas, and Plant Materials: Experiences Volunteering at the Huaca Pucllana
Studying Abroad with my Family Abroad
Best Affordable Weekend Trips from Lima
Parasites: The Best Thing to Happen to Me Abroad
Self Discovery Through an Autoimmune Disease Abroad
Study Abroad as a Married Student
Lima Declassified: Surviving the Combis and Other Safety Tips
An Open Letter to Myself Before Study Abroad
The Plight Of Indigenous Languages: How Quechua Opened My Eyes
Semana Santa: A Digital Story
Numero 28: A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Community Building and Sustainable Development in Peru
Looking for specific classes? Explore CHART, our exclusive class database — if the Community Building and Sustainable Development in Peru Program is pre-approved at your institution, you’ll find classes recently taken by other IFSA students.
Community Building and Sustainable Development summer program allows you to enroll in 2 exclusively-designed courses taught in Spanish by local faculty, and augment with volunteer work and visits to local organizations. This program provides you with an understanding of the process of developing grassroots organizations and their impact on local communities. As part of the curriculum, you will visit Iquitos (in the Amazon) in addition to Lima. The following required courses are specially designed for IFSA students on the Community Building and Sustainable Development program:
- Advanced Spanish and Peruvian Culture (3 U.S. semester credit hours) This is an intensive advanced-level language course. Each student will turn in three essays during the course. This course is taught while in Lima.
- Biodiversity and Sustainable Development (3 U.S. semester credit hours) This is a dynamic course that involves working with local organizations in two different cities. Students will participate in hands-on, environmentally focused community improvement projects such as recycling, planting trees and other needs as they arise within the community.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!