- Fall: April 1
- Spring: October 15
About Engage Barcelona
While mountains overlook the sea, you soak up sunshine at a café, chatting with your local mentor and mapping the learning journey for your internship. You passively absorb different languages spoken by passersby as you discuss top political, social, economic, or cultural issues in Catalonia, Spain and Europe. Let the city be your classroom!
Engage Barcelona Benefits
- Gain practical experience from an internship (available in a wide range of areas) in a leading European urban center
- A seminar with guest speakers, essays, and group discussions complement the student experience
- The Exploring Barcelona: Identity in a Multinational Society course will help deepen your understanding of and participation in the greater campus environment and Barcelona community
- No previous study of Spanish required
- Early application is recommended, as the program is capped at 30 students
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Engage Barcelona
- Exploring Barcelona: Identity in a Multinational Society (Required course — 3 U.S. semester credit hours)
This Exploring Community & Culture course takes students' study abroad experience to another level. It includes a seminar, meeting for three hours every week, in which students learn the historical, social, political and economic context of Barcelona. As part of the course, students are encouraged to join a community of their choosing, participate in unique guided field trips and write essays on their daily experiences in Barcelona.
- Business and the Individual in Context and Internship (Required course — 3 U.S. semester credit hour)
This course aims to facilitate the internship experience through mentoring and coaching with lectures. This combination of methodology helps students with the day to day difficulties they may have during their internship, developing their own potential and improving their self-esteem and self-confidence. Students are invited to reflect based on the professor's feedback while they transfer their knowledge into their internships
- Electives: Students choose two electives at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) (additional courses above 12 credits are available for an additional fee)
- Courses are available in the following tracks: International Business, Economics and Internship Humanities, Social Sciences and Internship Politics, Communications and Internship. See the UAB course catalog for up-to-date offerings.
- Spanish (3 or 6 U. S. semester credit hours) Spanish is taught at all levels from beginning through advanced and are offered through the university's Study Abroad Program.
Internships are typically available in:
- Small, private corporations
- Non-profit organizations
- Community development organizations
- Local entrepreneurs
- Consulting companies
- Technology companies
- Information Technology/Multimedia
- Social Sciences
- Health Care (Fitness)
- Health Sciences (Medical)
- Applied Sciences
- Social Work
Housing & Meals
Some meals included
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!