- Fall: April 15
- Spring: October 15
About Engage London
Live and study in the heart of London with IFSA's exclusive Engage London program. Classes are small, interactive and academically challenging and use the city of London for practical field excursions. Build your resume with an internship in one of London's many businesses or non-profits.
Engage London Benefits
- Study in up to four departments, taking three classes or two classes and an internship plus a core course
- The Exploring England: Community and Culture core course examines the cultural values of England and includes dynamic lectures, visits to cultural sites and discussions of the differences between the U.S. and U.K.
- An optional, hands-on internship caters to individual academic interests and is a great way to enhance your resume and professional skills
- Enjoy an active student union offering a full range of clubs and societies, and a sports stadium at Chiswick on the River Thames for rowing, soccer and rugby
- Three campuses in London's West End: Cavendish Campus, Regent Campus and Marylebone Campus
- One campus (Harrow), a state-of-the-art creative campus with space for studios and facilities located a 25-minute ride on the Tube from central London
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Engage London
Students take 3 modules at the University of Westminster, plus the required Exploring England: Community and Culture course for a total of 15 credits. Students may replace one module with an internship.
Visit the University of Westminster online course catalog to see a list of available subjects.
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
This course focuses on helping you develop strong skill sets through direct, local engagement with the city of London, including team building, intercultural communication and critical analysis. Online, you'll get the resources to develop a personal digital archive of your study and internship experience and you'll be given a personal mentor to help you translate your experience into an account of how you have developed new competencies while living, studying and working in a different cultural context. Classes are held two hours a week for reading and discussion of cultural 'hot topics' (both at home and in London); and there will be weekly field trips, immersing you directly in London's rich and diverse cultural life, while giving you the opportunity to meet Londoners 'at home' in their community spaces to find out what really matters to them — and how it affects you.
The Engage London program includes an optional internship that replaces one elective course. Each internship involves a work assignment of 14 hours, two to three days per week. Your placement is subject to a successful interview after you arrive in London. The duration of the internship is one semester and it is worth 4 U.S. semester credit hours.
As part of the internship, you will take a tutorial course and prepare a related academic project. An academic supervisor will monitor your progress in your field assignment, act as a placement liaison and assess your project. Assessment of your success in the placement is based on one meeting with your internship supervisor, a daily work log and a 3,000 word essay detailing your role in the organization, what you learned and your internship goals.
Internships are available in: Art and Design, Arts Administration, Biological sciences, Built Environment, Business Studies, Communication, Computer Science, Economics, Education, Environmental Science, Finance, Information Technology, Journalism, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Media Arts, Politics, Psychology, Social Action, Social Service.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!