Two semesters of Chinese language study
- Fall: May 1
- Spring: November 1
About Intensive Chinese Language
If you want to make rapid gains in Chinese language, this program is for you! Through 20 hours of instruction per week, a 24/7 language pledge, and your homestay with a Chinese family, your language skills will improve faster than ever before in this carefully designed immersive environment.
Intensive Chinese Language Benefits
- Impress future employers with your ability to communicate with one of the most widely-spoken and influential languages in the world
- Through a 24/7 language pledge and 20 hours per week of language instruction, make rapid gains in your language skills—and put them to immediate use while exploring one of China’s most vibrant urban centers
- Participate in an extended field study trip that introduces you to the diverse social, economic and geographic realities that exist within China's borders
- Share meals and participate in activities with your host family to gain an in-depth understanding of Chinese family dynamics and traditions
What our students say
Studying Abroad in China as a Second Generation Chinese American
Exotification in China
My Summer in China
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Intensive Chinese Language
- Intensive Chinese Language (15 U.S. semester credit hours) A placement exam during on-site orientation determines each student's appropriate language level.
- Exploring Community & Culture in a Global Context (3 U.S. semester credit hours) Through a creative asynchronous online format, this course facilitates active engagement with your host community, exploration of cultural identity and examination of diversity in the context of political, economic and sociocultural structures. Students cover topics such as intercultural communication skills, intercultural learning theories, tools for intercultural analysis and the development of personal strategies for engaging with differences of any kind following the study abroad experience. This course is ideal for students seeking transferable skills and specific competencies for success in the global marketplace. Depending on your chosen IFSA program, this course may be taken as a part of or in addition to your full credit load. Home institution approval is required for enrollment.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!