Two semesters of Chinese language study
- Fall: April 15
- Spring: November 1
About Intensive Chinese Language
If you want to make rapid gains in Chinese language, this program is for you! Through 20 hours of instruction per week, a 24/7 language pledge, and your homestay with a Chinese family, your language skills will improve faster than ever before in this carefully designed immersive environment.
Intensive Chinese Language Benefits
- Impress future employers with your ability to communicate with one of the most widely-spoken and influential languages in the world
- Through a 24/7 language pledge and 20 hours per week of language instruction, make rapid gains in your language skills—and put them to immediate use while exploring one of China’s most vibrant urban centers
- Participate in an extended field study trip that introduces you to the diverse social, economic and geographic realities that exist within China's borders
- Share meals and participate in activities with your host family to gain an in-depth understanding of Chinese family dynamics and traditions
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Intensive Chinese Language
- Intensive Chinese Language (15 U.S. semester credit hours) A placement exam during on-site orientation determines each student's appropriate language level.
- Exploring Community & Culture in a Global Context (3 U.S. semester credit hours) In addition to required and elective courses, IFSA students may participate in an exciting online course with a global cohort from IFSA locations around the world. Enrolling in this course brings your course load to, or above, 18 U.S. semester credit hours and requires approval from your study abroad advisor. Through a creative online format, this course facilitates active engagement with your host community, exploration of cultural identity and examination of diversity in the context of political, economic and sociocultural structures. Students cover topics such as intercultural communication skills, intercultural learning theories, tools for intercultural analysis and the development of personal strategies for engaging with differences of any kind following the study abroad experience. This course is ideal for students who seek transferable skills and specific competencies for successful work in the global marketplace. The asynchronous course format allows you to take part in online discussions, post responses, review peer contributions, submit your assignments, read materials and watch instructor videos at the time of day (or night) that best suits your personal schedule. Download the course outline or course syllabus to learn more.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!