- Fall: March 15—Extended to May 1
- Spring: November 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About James Cook University, Townsville
Dig deeper into ecology, photography, or marine biology while surrounded by the spectacular rainforests of the Wet Tropics, the dry savannahs and the iconic Great Barrier Reef. IFSA will help you thrive while at this unique and diverse top-ranked tropical research institution. And just imagine what you'll do on your weekends!
James Cook University, Townsville Benefits
- Experience smaller class sizes and accessible teaching staff at a top-ranked university
- Choose from two campuses:
- Townsville, in natural bushland that is home to wildlife such as cockatoos, kookaburras, scrub turkeys, wallabies and kangaroos. Townsville receives around 320 days of sunshine each year and is in easy reach of The Whitsunday Islands and Charters Towers.
- Cairns, surrounded by rainforest-covered hills is a popular North Queensland tourist attraction. Located 30 minutes from the beach, Cairns is also the adventure capital.
- Each campus offers a relaxing environment with extensive bike paths and local bus services to the central business districts of both cities
- Study in an unparalleled diverse physical environment
- Courses and subjects are designed with clear learning outcomes, coherent structures and manageable workloads
What our students say
How to Study Abroad as a STEM Major
It’s Possible to Study Abroad if You’re a STEM Major: Just ask me!
The IFSA Difference
Academics at James Cook University Partnership, Townsville campus
Open the James Cook University online course catalog to see available courses.
IFSA requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution, 12 JCU credits per semester or 24 credits per year. This is the equivalent of 16 U.S. semester credit hours per semester.
3 JCU credits = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
- Fourth-year (4000-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). YOu are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate student.
- IFSA students are eligible to take only courses listed as "Internal" in the description. You will not be permitted to take classes listed as "Block Mode," "Limited," or "External."
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!