2 semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
What does this mean?
- Summer: April 1
About Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán
Experience Mérida, one of the most charming cities in Latin America, through its language and culture! Whether on campus, with your host family, or out and about, you'll put Spanish skills to work through daily interactions with the local Yucatecan community.
Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán Benefits
- Live and learn in a tranquil yet cosmopolitan center of culture in southern Mexico where they experience 300 days of sunshine per year
- Compact size makes it easy to explore the city's squares and markets
- Colonial Spanish architecture adds to Mérida's beauty and personifies the city's long history
- Enjoy free evening concerts and a thriving nightlife in a student-friendly atmosphere
- Learn about Mayan history and visit many archeological sites
What our students say
How Volunteering Abroad Changed Me
Monsters in Mexico – A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán
The Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán program allows you to enroll in two classes exclusively designed for IFSA students at the Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán. These classes, taught in Spanish by local university professors, are intended to provide you with an understanding of the events and issues that make Mexico what it is today. There are two tracks-- intermediate and advanced-- and your placement will be determined upon arrival in Mexico.
- Intermediate Spanish and Culture or Advanced Spanish and Culture (3 Butler University credits) This is an intensive intermediate- or advanced-level language course conducted in Spanish by Mexican professors. It meets for 45 contact hours over the course of the summer.
- Contemporary Yucatán (3 Butler University credits) This topics course is based on current events in the Yucatan and Mexico. Standard topics include History of the 19th and 20th Centuries as well as Yucatan and the Caribbean, which help to prepare students for the program excursion to Cuba. Please note that partcipants on this program may not cross-enroll in classes offered on the Medical Spanish and Public Health in the Yucatán program, which runs concurrently with this program.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!