2 semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Summer: April 1
About Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán
Experience Mérida, one of the most charming cities in Latin America, through its language and culture! Whether on campus, with your host family, or out and about, you'll put Spanish skills to work through daily interactions with the local Yucatecan community.
Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán Benefits
- Live and learn in a tranquil yet cosmopolitan center of culture in southern Mexico where they experience 300 days of sunshine per year
- Compact size makes it easy to explore the city's squares and markets
- Colonial Spanish architecture adds to Mérida's beauty and personifies the city's long history
- Enjoy free evening concerts and a thriving nightlife in a student-friendly atmosphere
- Learn about Mayan history and visit many archeological sites
What our students say
How to Stay Connected While in Mexico
9 Things to Know About Safety in Mexico
The Ultimate Team: Joining a Local Team in Mérida, Mexico
(Re)Finding Home – A Digital Story
First-Hand Experience: A Digital Story
Wide Awake: A Digital Story
Rrrrrachel: A Digital Story
Lauren’s Story: A Digital Story
Telenovelas, Family, and Life in the Yucatan: A Digital Story
The Camion de Ruta: A Digital Story
The IFSA-Butler Difference
Academics at Language and Cultural Studies in the Yucatán
- Intermediate Spanish and Culture or Advanced Spanish and Culture (3 Butler University credits) This is an intensive intermediate- or advanced-level language course conducted in Spanish by Mexican professors. It meets for 45 contact hours over the course of the summer.
- Contemporary Yucatán (3 Butler University credits) This topics course is based on current events in the Yucatan and Mexico. Standard topics include History of the 19th and 20th Centuries as well as Yucatan and the Caribbean, which help to prepare students for the program excursion to Cuba. Please note that partcipants on this program may not cross-enroll in classes offered on the Medical Spanish and Public Health in the Yucatán program, which runs concurrently with this program.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA-Butler Team
IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team and staff who are here to help every student prepare and be ready to achieve their goals at every step of the way.