- Fall: March 15
- Spring: November 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Macquarie University
If you want Sydney with a more relaxed vibe, coupled with award winning excellence in engaging international students with critical global issues and skills needed for a global workforce, try Macquarie. You'll still be in easy reach of downtown Sydney, with hundreds of shops, places to eat, a cinema, and even an ice skating rink (unusual for Australia) a 15 minute walk from housing.
Macquarie University Benefits
- Macquarie offers 15 scholarships to study abroad students each semester. Click here to find out more!
- Live and learn on a beautiful, green campus set among rolling hills in North Ryde, a suburb with a small-town feel, with easy access to Sydney just 12 miles to the north
- The campus is a cultural, recreational and intellectual center for the metropolitan area, offering unusual courses and non-traditional degrees
- Gain valuable experience through opportunities like internships, practicums and research projects as a part of the PACE program.
- Engage in the local culture through an active student union that sponsors sports and clubs, as well as dances, concerts and special events
- Stay fit by taking advantage of the excellent athletic facilities, including courts, playing fields, a gym and recreation hall
- Great opportunities for educational experiences outside of the classroom like the PACE Program and Leadership Certificate
- Campus is located across the street from New South Wales' largest mall, including 250 shops, cinema and an ice rink—it has everything you would ever need
What our students say
How to Engage with Your People from a Different World
Gender Identities and How to Appreciate Them While Abroad
Being One of the Few Men in K-pop Culture
How Studying Abroad has Everlasting Impacts on Your Life-long Goals
How to Convey that Sorority Life Isn’t Always Like the Movies While Abroad
5 Advantages of Studying Abroad as a Woman of Color
How I Made The Most of My Academics Abroad
Myth Busters: Study Abroad Edition
Exploring Racial and Ethnic Identity as an International Student Studying Abroad
Sydney on a Budget
She’ll Be ‘Right – A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Macquarie University Partnership
To view available courses, explore the Macquarie University online course catalog.
Past students have enjoyed courses related to Australian culture, politics and society. Some of these subjects may be found in the subject areas POL, ABST, AUST and SOC.
At Macquarie, a full course load consists of 12 Macquarie credits per semester or 24 Macquarie credits per year. Students typically enroll in 4 classes for a total of 16 U.S. semester credit hours.
3 MAC points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
Business Internship Opportunity
Macquarie offers a unique business-focused internship as a part of their award-winning Participation and Community Engagement PACE program. Work at a non-profit, government agency, company, or other industry partner to gain applicable experience in the Aussie workplace. Interns work 150 hours over the length of the internship and also take 12 hours of coordinating coursework. Read more about the internship here and see the course outline here
Internship applicants must have a GPA of at least a 3.0 and have completed at least 18 months of relevant coursework.
Global Leadership Program
Macquarie's Global Leadership Program (GLP) gives the opportunity to increase your international knowledge and build professional skills. As a GLP participant you will attend five three-hour workshops as well as a GLP Distinguished Speaker Series event.
You will also be invited to attend other GLP events, including the Consular Series and Cultural Series as well as Global Leadership Symposia. For successfully completing the program you will receive a GLP certificate.
- Cross-Cultural Understanding
- Business Etiquette
- State Failure and Crisis in Sudan and Somalia
- Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Effective Writing
- Career Mapping
- Australia and Japan's Dispute over Whales: International Law Dimensions
If you are interested in applying for the GLP, please contact the IFSA program advisor at the time of application
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!