- Fall: March 15
- Spring: November 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Macquarie University
If you want Sydney with a more relaxed vibe, coupled with award winning excellence in engaging international students with critical global issues and skills needed for a global workforce, try Macquarie. You'll still be in easy reach of downtown Sydney, with hundreds of shops, places to eat, a cinema, and even an ice skating rink (unusual for Australia) a 15 minute walk from housing.
Macquarie University Benefits
- Live and learn on a beautiful, green campus set among rolling hills in North Ryde, a suburb with a small-town feel, with easy access to Sydney just 12 miles to the north
- The campus is a cultural, recreational and intellectual center for the metropolitan area, offering unusual courses and non-traditional degrees
- Gain valuable experience through opportunities like internships, practicums and research projects as a part of the PACE program.
- Engage in the local culture through an active student union that sponsors sports and clubs, as well as dances, concerts and special events
- Stay fit by taking advantage of the excellent athletic facilities, including courts, playing fields, a gym and recreation hall
- Great opportunities for educational experiences outside of the classroom like the PACE Program and Leadership Certificate
- Campus is located across the street from New South Wales' largest mall, including 250 shops, cinema and an ice rink—it has everything you would ever need
What our students say
3 First and Lasting Impressions of Sydney
What is it Like Studying Abroad While Studying Abroad?
I’m A First-Generation Student Who Studied Abroad, Now What?!
Keeping Current From Thousands of Miles Away
How IFSA Made My Abroad Experience Unforgettable
Why All Students In Greek Life Should Study Abroad
5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Semester Abroad
How Studying Abroad Helped Me Conquer My Biggest Fear
How I Coped with Losing A Loved One While Abroad
Sydney on a Budget
Spring Break is Coming! Spring Break is Coming!
There’s More to Life in Australia than the Beach
Surviving Sydney: A Guide to IFSA-Butler Orientation
Take a Solo Trip, I Dare You
Wait, Who Am I Living With? Multicultural Living Abroad
An Open Thank You Letter to Australia
Top 10 Must Visit Places on the East Coast of Australia
I’m Here! I’m Excited! I’m ready!
Feelin’ the Aussie Love
In the Final Days…
Interning in Australia – A Digital Story
Can a Pre-Med Student Really Go Abroad?
The Risk of Regret
Family Across Water: A Digital Story
This is Not a Vacation
Outdoor Education: A Digital Story
Heron Island: A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Macquarie University Partnership
Past students have enjoyed courses related to Australian culture, politics and society. Some of these subjects may be found in the subject areas POL, ABST, AUST and SOC.
At Macquarie, a full course load consists of 12 Macquarie credits per semester or 24 Macquarie credits per year. Students typically enroll in 4 classes for a total of 16 U.S. semester credit hours.
3 MAC points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
Participation and Community Engagement Program-Business Internship
Macquarie University offers an opportunity for students to participate in courses with a community focus through the Participation and Community Engagement program (PACE). The Professional and Community Engagement unit is open to study abroad students and provides an internship experience in the business field. Students who are approved to take part will be assigned an internship coordinator who will assist with finding a relevant placement. Interns will work 150 hours over the length of the internship and also take 12 hours of coordinating coursework.
Global Leadership Program
Macquarie's Global Leadership Program (GLP) gives the opportunity to increase your international knowledge and build professional skills. As a GLP participant you will attend five three-hour workshops as well as a GLP Distinguished Speaker Series event.
You will also be invited to attend other GLP events, including the Consular Series and Cultural Series as well as Global Leadership Symposia. For successfully completing the program you will receive a GLP certificate.
- Cross-Cultural Understanding
- Business Etiquette
- State Failure and Crisis in Sudan and Somalia
- Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Effective Writing
- Career Mapping
- Australia and Japan's Dispute over Whales: International Law Dimensions
If you are interested in applying for the GLP, please contact the IFSA program advisor at the time of application
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!