5 semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: November 1
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú Partnership
Peru is a melting pot of people, world-recognized cuisine, music and dance from Africa, Asia and Europe, combined with local indigenous populations. Want to get involved in social, economic and political issues through community service and research? Our community-based learning component gives you firsthand experience by working with NGOs.
Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú Partnership Benefits
- Study on a 100-acre campus with modern buildings, picturesque gardens and archaeological excavations
- Take advantage of outstanding academics at one of the highest ranked universities in Latin America where you can find courses that are difficult to find in other Latin American institutions
- Get involved in Peruvian social, economic and political issues through community service and research with major non-governmental organizations in Lima
- Archaeology majors can work at Huaca Pucllana, a pre-Incan site from the Lima culture that dates from 0 to 700 AD and is still under exploration
- You will work with a local NGO throughout the semester as part of the required Peruvian Social Reality course. Available organizations focus on human rights, women's movements, ecology, homelessness and more.
- Gender concentration allows students to really dig deeper into social issues in Peruvian society, such as the Ni Una Menos movement
What our students say
Pyramids, Plazas, and Plant Materials: Experiences Volunteering at the Huaca Pucllana
Studying Abroad with my Family Abroad
Best Affordable Weekend Trips from Lima
Parasites: The Best Thing to Happen to Me Abroad
Study Abroad as a Married Student
Lima Declassified: Surviving the Combis and Other Safety Tips
An Open Letter to Myself Before Study Abroad
The Plight Of Indigenous Languages: How Quechua Opened My Eyes
Semana Santa: A Digital Story
Numero 28: A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú Partnership
The IFSA program in Lima offers two program classes designed exclusively for our participants, and allows you to enroll in other courses alongside local students at the prestigious Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP). These classes, taught in Spanish by local professors, are intended to provide you with an understanding of the events and issues that make Peru what it is today.
- Advanced Academic Writing and Peruvian Culture (3 U.S. semester credit hours): This mandatory class helps participants reach and perfect competence at the advanced level in Spanish language, with an emphasis on oral and written skills on formal and informal levels. The class also emphasizes vocabulary and pronunciation. Discussions and weekly essays that focus in part on Peruvian and Latin American issues will be utilized.
- Peruvian Social Reality (4 U.S. semester credit hours): The purpose of this mandatory course is to help students reach a basic understanding of Peruvian social reality, identifying the major problems and conflicts, clarifying the relationship of the present situation in Peru to the most important social processes. While the course does not propose to offer a detailed analysis of specific issues, it does present the principal economic, social and political problems of the country in terms of an overall analytical perspective. The course will focus on an individual research project based on the experience of each student in an NGO, which focuses upon a specific social problem in the Peruvian context.
In addition to mandatory program courses, you will complete your courseload the PUCP alongside degree-seeking Peruvian students. PUCP publishes their course offerings online. Follow these steps to find courses that may be available during your semester or year abroad:
- Review a list of subjects offered at PUCP.
- Click on the especialidad in which you are interested.
- Click on the link for the plan de estudios to see the course offerings. For course descriptions, click on sumillas.
Please keep in mind that ciclo or nivel of a course does not indicate which semester the course is given. To determine when a course is being offered, please follow these steps:
- PUCP course semester and level information.
- Enter the name of the course in nombre del curso.
- Select the appropriate term from the dropdown menu (i.e. "2018-2" corresponds to semester 2 2018) in ciclo de dictado de curso.
- Click on buscar to see if the course is being offered during the indicated semester.
If a particular course you are looking for is not listed, contact your program advisor for assistance. Course availability changes every semester. Note that if you have native or near—native Spanish reading and writing skills and would like to be considered for exemption from the Advanced Academic Writing and Peruvian Culture course, please speak with your Program Advisor
IFSA students have the option to study in a specialized academic concentration focused on gender issues, gaining in-depth knowledge about the subject via coursework and a local non-governmental organization (NGO) that focuses on gender issues.
What the concentration has to offer:
- A curriculum focused on the psychology, law, anthropology and culture of gender in Peru
- Working with Peruvian women through community-based research or volunteer work
- Combination of program courses and university courses with gender foci
Community-based research and volunteer opportunities
- Casa de Panchita, an organization that supports domestic workers' rights
- PROMSEX, a women's organization that lobbies for sexual and reproductive rights
- Center for Peruvian Women Flora Tristan, a well-known feminist organization that focuses on women's rights and feminist studies
- Students will develop a research project based on their work with an organization listed above
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!