- Fall: April 15
- Spring: October 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
Spend a semester or year in London, home to one of the most ethnically diverse populations in the world. SOAS specializes in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, and your semester abroad will be academically challenging as well as culturally enriching.
- SOAS is the only higher education institution in the U.K. specializing in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Near and Middle East
- Study at one of the world's leading institutions of its kind, where more than 50 percent of the student body is international
- SOAS is part of the University of London (UL) system, so students can use the University of London Union's excellent facilities
- Live and learn in a great location in the heart of London near the British Museum, Oxford Street, Covent Garden and the West End
- Enjoy the benefits of a specialized school with more than 500 uniformly excellent courses and more than 30 different languages offered
- Choose to focus on a particular region, country or a specific discipline
What our students say
5 Tips for Staying Centered While Living Abroad
Quick Guide to London Fashion
A Quick Guide to London Fashion
Easy Ways to Connect to the Caribbean in London
Abroad in London: From A Theater Major to A Global Theater Maker
How to Study Abroad as a STEM Major
How I Learned to Frame my Experiences through Photography
How to take Care of Afro Hair in London
5 Differences Between US and UK Academic Systems
Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget While Abroad
Saving Money on London Public Transportation
Building a Family Abroad – A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at SOAS, University of London Partnership
A full course load at SOAS for semester students is four courses, which can be any combination of full or half-credit units. Full-year students must take 4 SOAS credits. For information on the credit weight, please review the information below:
1 SOAS credit (usually allotted to full year courses only) = 8 U.S. semester credit hours
.5 SOAS credits = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
- Fourth-year (400 level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (masters or Ph.D.) and are not available to undergraduate study abroad students.
- Departments that have only graduate courses (including Gender Studies and Media Studies) are not open to undergraduate students.
- Independent study projects, dissertations and extended essays are also closed to study abroad students.
- History majors should note that H300 courses are capped at 15 students, and registration is on a first come, first served basis.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!