- Fall: April 1—Extended to May 1
- Spring: October 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Stranmillis University College Teacher Education
Dedicated faculty and outstanding curriculum that gives you the skills, knowledge and values necessary to excel as teachers. Choose classes from four degree programs: elementary, secondary, early childhood, and health and leisure education. Build your skills by specializing in assessment, curriculum studies or special education.
Stranmillis University College Teacher Education Benefits
- Semester long program dedicated to teacher education with the option of supervised practical placements in local schools
- An acclaimed teacher education program that attracts students from throughout the U.K. and around the world
- Dedicated faculty and outstanding curriculum that gives students the skills, knowledge and values necessary to excel as teachers
- An active Student Union, excellent indoor sports facilities and modern campus amenities
- Flexible course selection with a variety of practical (teaching) experience, observational components, and specialty focus areas such as assessment, curriculum studies or special education
- Open to any student interested in education, not just education majors
What our students say
IFSA Interview Series: Teacher Education in Northern Ireland
What People Don’t Tell You About Traveling Abroad
Taking STEM Further
How Does a First-Generation, Non-Traditional Student Study Abroad?
Coming Home – Why Was it So Hard?
Reconnecting with Religion in Northern Ireland
Student Teaching Abroad: Lessons Learned in the Classroom
Studying Abroad in a Small Program – What’s it Like?
Worth It: Choosing a Study Abroad Program for Maximum Value
Waves of Thanksgiving: A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Stranmillis University College Teacher Education
Students choose a full semester load of courses from one of the tracks below. Click here for details about each track:
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Health and Leisure Education
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- Special Education
- Physical Education/Sports Studies
- Art History
- Human and Child Development
- Student Teaching
Click on the module details in the links above for a full course list.
Stranmillis also offers the following special courses to IFSA students:
- Northern Ireland Culture and Education (Fall only)
- Peacebuilding and Reconciliation
- Young People, Community and Culture
- Work Based Professional Practice
- Aspects of Northern Ireland Culture and Education (Spring only, 2.5 U.S. semester credits)
A full course load at Stranmillis University College is 60 CATS credits for the semester (equivalent to 15 U.S. semester credit hours).
1 CATS credit = .25 U.S. semester credit hoursPlease review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!