- Summer: April 15
About Summer in Jerusalem: Diversity & Coexistence
Jerusalem is your living classroom for the summer as you explore its political, sexual, ethnic and religious diversity. Delve into a four-week exploration of identity, immigration and multiculturalism in Jerusalem as you interact with and learn more about Israel's many ethnic and religious communities.
Summer in Jerusalem: Diversity & Coexistence Benefits
- Located in the multicultural and ethnically diverse city of Jerusalem, the program allows you to interact with a wide variety of people of different backgrounds, religions, and diversity
- Take courses with local students at Hebrew University’s Rothberg International School, one of the Middle East’s most prestigious universities
- Attend an extensive IFSA orientation covering important health, safety and security topics pertaining to Israel, giving you and your parents peace of mind
- Live and learn near Mount Scopus in the ancient city of Jerusalem, located within easy access to transportation, supermarkets and eateries
- Outside of the classroom, you will participate in co-curricular activities to historically and culturally significant places, allowing you to engage with diverse communities and interrogate theories of identity and coexistence
Academics at Summer in Jerusalem: Diversity & Coexistence
- Understanding Identities: Immigration and Cultural Diversity from the Israeli Experience (3 U.S. semester credit hours) Explores the dynamics and challenges of immigration and multiculturalism from the vantage point of Israel. Students meet with educational, social, government, private and non-governmental organizations to learn how they have dealt with multiple waves of immigration. Intensive field work is a key component of the course.
- Politics of Planning in Multicultural Cities: The Case of Jerusalem (3 U.S. semester credit hours) Looks at Jerusalem as a growing urban center that has a crucial need for effective city planning based on its diverse populations. Explores the contours of the city, its ethnic makeup and the political developments that shaped it. Presents dilemmas and struggles that affect contemporary city planning and urban design.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA-Butler Team
IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team and staff who are here to help every student prepare and be ready to achieve their goals at every step of the way.