- Summer: April 1
About Summer Nursing and Pre-Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine
The health professions require a combination of practical and interpersonal skills for nurses, doctors, and other health professionals to be successful. What better way to develop these skills than in a summer abroad that offers relevant coursework and lab opportunities, in combination with intercultural learning?
Summer Nursing and Pre-Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine Benefits
- Instruction provided by regular Ulster University biomedical sciences faculty at one of the U.K.'s top biomedical research centers
- Field and laboratory experiences are a key part of the program and include a visit to medical microbiology laboratories and practical laboratory work
- Students live in single bedrooms, most with a private bathroom
What our students say
Pre-Health Professionals in Northern Ireland – A Digital Story
The IFSA-Butler Difference
Academics at Summer Nursing and Pre-Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine
Nutrition Through the Lifecycle
This module provides the student with an overview of nutrients and their role in human nutrition necessary for further study of the impact of nutrition through the lifecycle. The module explores factors determining food choice in healthy people at various stages in the life cycle. It introduces how dietary factors impact on health through the lifecycle. This is important for health promotion, nutrition and dietetics. Click here to view a full PDF course description.
Principles of Microbiology
This course covers the study of microscopic forms of life - organisms that cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is concerned not only with their role in disease but, as our knowledge increases, with their many beneficial activities and their central role in human health. Microbiology occupies a central position in biotechnology and genetic engineering and many of the recent major advances in science and medicine have been achieved using microorganisms as model systems. Click here to view a full PDF course description.
Pre-requisite: Applicants should have taken at least oe entry-level course in nursing, biology, or cell biology.
- Field visit to medical microbiology laboratories in Belfast City Hospital as part of Microbiology course
- Opportunity to undertake practical laboratory at the Centre for Molecular Biosciences within the Biomedical Sciences Research Institute, the top-ranking such facility in the U.K.
- Visit to W5 (who-what-where-when-why) science education center in Belfast and complete "DNA, a Question of Taste" workshop
Housing & Meals
The IFSA-Butler Team
IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team and staff who are here to help every student prepare and be ready to achieve their goals at every step of the way.