- Fall: April 15
- Spring: October 15—Extended to October 30
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About Ulster University
At Ulster, you will learn of a country that used peaceful reconciliation to overcome conflicting visions of national identity. Whether you're pursuing a concentration in Peace & Conflict Studies, Irish Studies, or Irish Cultural Studies; or simply taking classes in your major, the atmosphere will inspire you.
Ulster University Benefits
- Wide variety of courses available
- Four campuses, located across Northern Ireland, with some offering strong academic focuses in the following areas:
- Belfast campus in Belfast: fine arts
- Jordanstown campus in Newtownabbey: math and sciences
- Magee campus in Londonderry: peace and conflict, music and the arts
- Coleraine campus in Coleraine: liberal arts
- Ulster offers program concentrations in Peace and Conflict, Irish Studies and Irish Cultural studies and you can earn an advanced certificate for completing a specific track of study
- Ulster University is part of the Rapid Response program, so you'll hear about your acceptance within five business days!
What our students say
IFSA Interview Series: Teacher Education in Northern Ireland
What People Don’t Tell You About Traveling Abroad
Taking STEM Further
How Does a First-Generation, Non-Traditional Student Study Abroad?
Coming Home – Why Was it So Hard?
Reconnecting with Religion in Northern Ireland
Student Teaching Abroad: Lessons Learned in the Classroom
Studying Abroad in a Small Program – What’s it Like?
Worth It: Choosing a Study Abroad Program for Maximum Value
Waves of Thanksgiving: A Digital Story
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Ulster University Partnership
Looking for specific classes? Explore CHART, our exclusive class database — if the Ulster University Program is pre-approved at your institution, you’ll find classes recently taken by other IFSA students.
Ulster University has four campuses in Northern Ireland and each campus is home to different subjects. Search courses at each campus on the Ulster online modules catalogue.
Each course description will have a module code, the semester when the module is offered and the number of Ulster University credits the course is worth. Courses offered in the fall are listed as semester 1 courses, courses offered in the spring are listed as semester 2 courses and courses that are year-long are listed as semesters 1/2. Choose only modules that start with 1, 3 or 5; you are not able to take other modules.
A full course load at Ulster University is 60 CATS credits (equivalent of 15 U.S. semester credit hours).
- 1 CATS credit = .25 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
- Issues in Peace and Conflict Studies (Magee)
- Irish Studies (Magee)
- Irish Cultural Studies (Coleraine)
Courses are available for visiting students on a case-by-case basis, and some courses are available to academic year students only due to their assessment structure. Please contact your IFSA program advisor for more information.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!