5 semesters of university level or equivalent
What does this mean?
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: October 15
About Universidad de La Habana Partnership
Make history with us as we experience changes daily. Study at one of the most prestigious universities in Latin America, and spend a long weekend living in an intentional community hours from Havana. Learn, explore, dance, play ball, and make friends while you are part of something few Americans will ever experience.
Universidad de La Habana Partnership Benefits
- Study at Universidad de La Habana (UH), Cuba's oldest and most prestigious university, which attracts students from throughout Latin America and around the world
- Located next to the heart of Havana's historic district, UH offers a unique opportunity for the adventurous and flexible student
- Integrate with Cuban students in elective courses available in a variety of disciplines
- Academic advising and tutoring available throughout the semester at no additional cost
What our students say
Hasta Siempre Internet
Hasta Siempre Internet 2: Analog Boogaloo
The IFSA Difference
Academics at Universidad de La Habana Partnership
Looking for specific classes? Explore CHART, our exclusive class database — if the Universidad de La Habana Program is pre-approved at your institution, you’ll find classes recently taken by other IFSA students.
IFSA offers a dynamic, immersive semester study abroad program at the Universidad de La Habana (UH) in Havana, Cuba. This unique program allows you to enroll directly in UH and study alongside local students. IFSA encourages you to select courses that do a particularly good job of strengthening your Spanish skills, such as Spanish language, literature, or other writing-intensive courses.
The academic structure of this program consists of the following courses:
Electives at Universidad de La Habana
You'll choose your course load from UH courses alongside Cuban students. Students can only choose four or five electives from the Facultad de Artes y Letras and Facultad de Filosofia e Historia.. Syllabi and previous course catalogs may be available on request from your program advisor. Students are only able to take a maximum of 16 credit hours.
- History of Cuba
- Rural Cultures of Cuba
- Cuban Cinema
- Afro-Caribbean Studies
- Marxist-Leninist Philosphy
- Sociology of Health
- General Linguistics
- Dialectology and Sociolinguistics
- Cuban Literature
- Urban Sociology
IFSA does make every effort to connect students to companies or organizations that match the organization’s needs with a student’s skillset, experience, and goals, including but not limited to the student’s Spanish language level and communication skills. Below are examples of what students have done in the past and what you might be able to do during your time abroad:
- Become an English language tutor for locals, varying in age from elementary school children or working professionals hoping to fine tune their English skills
- Play an active role in environmental clean up initiatives, including helping advertise the events, educating the public on importance of keeping areas clean, and day of activities
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!