- Fall: March 1 - Extended to May 1
- Spring: November 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide is located right in the heart of the city of Adelaide, which was recently called "Australia's best kept secret" thanks to its great weather, never-ending festivals, food and wine culture and affordability. The university is one of Australia's oldest, with "Harry Potter style" sandstone buildings with abundant STEM offerings.
University of Adelaide Benefits
- Focus exclusively on your selected track or choose courses in other departments
- Abundant STEM offerings allows you to find courses that will keep you on track for graduation
- Gain real-world skills with an optional internship that will enrich your experience and boost your resumé
- IFSA's optional, online Exploring Community & Culture course will facilitate active engagement with your host community, exploration of cultural identity and examination of diversity in communities
What our students say
Is Reverse Culture Shock a Myth or Fact?
How I Learned to Trust My Path
The IFSA Difference
Academics at University of Adelaide
To explore University of Adelaide courses, open the University of Adelaide online course catalog.
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:
- When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the Australian academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
- First-year (1000-level) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
- Second-year (2000-level) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
- Third-year (3000-level) courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
- Fourth-year (4000-level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student. 6. Remember, in Australia, U.S. fall semester = semester 2 and U.S. spring semester = semester 1. Be sure to select courses for the correct semester you are studying abroad.
Exploring Community and Culture
Through a creative online format, IFSA's signature Exploring Community and Culture in a Global Context course facilitates active engagement with your host community, exploration of cultural identity and examination of diversity in communities in the context of political, economic and sociocultural structures. Online Course Syllabus.
You can gain practical experience in addition to your courses in Australia with an internship. Various internships are available at placements in businesses, nonprofit organizations, government offices and community volunteer centers in Adelaide. Internships are are worth either 4 U.S. semester credits for a practical Internship or 8 U.S. semester credits for a research internship in Adelaide, which students may take in place of one or two elective classes depending on their choice.
Eligibility for an internship placement is dependent on a variety of factors including but not limited to, requirements set by the host organization, your knowledge and interests, and project availability by organization. GPA may be also considered as part of the internship placement selection, however it is not a determining factor. If you do not receive a placement upon arrival, another course can be easily added during registration.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!