Scholarships, grants, financial aid, monthly payment plan, credit card payments and more!
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: October 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About University of Auckland
Located in the geographical and economical heart of New Zealand's largest city, the University of Auckland is surrounded by beautiful parks, galleries, museums, shopping areas and more bars and cafes than you can count. This prestigious university is ranked within the top 100 universities in the world offering a diverse catalogue of courses in a wide range of subjects.
University of Auckland Benefits
- Apply for the Auckland UpFront Scholarship: up to $7,500 to cover airfare and program deposit — complete the IFSA scholarship application in your Student Portal!
- Live and learn on a city campus buffered by parkland, a great environment for the independent student
- Ranks in the top 1 percent of the world's universities and offers unique courses such as Maori language and culture
- Campus contains everything you need plus it boasts an arts center, theatre, and recreation center
- An active students association sponsors a full range of social, political, cultural and athletic activities, including more than 100 clubs and societies
What our students say
You Are Stronger Than You Think: 5 Ways I Dealt with Grief While Abroad
How New Zealand Changed My Future Career
The IFSA Difference
Your success is our success! Whatever your goals, our approach is carefully designed to help you achieve them.
You will experience challenging, rewarding coursework in the highest quality classes, while receiving the academic support you need.
More than a tourist in a foreign country, you will engage in the community, build competencies, and develop yourself as a citizen of the world.
Our programs and practices reflect the value we place on diverse perspectives and are designed to support a variety of learners.
Round out your classroom experience with hands-on opportunities like internships, directed research, student teaching, community-based learning or volunteering, and cultural excursions.
You will have academic and personal mentors to assist with program choice, application, travel, cultural acclimation, language acquisition, class registration, academic issues, health and safety, and everything in between.
Academics at University of Auckland Partnership
Open the University of Auckland online course catalog to discover the courses that are offered. When you click on the department name, it will drop down to show all the courses offered in that department. Click on a course number or title to bring up a course description.
Students typically take 4 classes each semester for a total of 16 U.S. semester credit hours.
15 Points at Auckland = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
- Courses not available to Study Abroad and Exchange students:
- BUSINESS 101 and BUSINESS 102
- Courses ending with the letters F or H, e.g., HISTORY 91F or MAORIHTH 14H. These are foundation year courses and not appropriate for Exchange Students.
- Stage I Engineering courses (ENGGEN 115, ENGGEN 121, ENGGEN 131, ENGGEN 140, ENGGEN 150, ENGSCI 111, ELECTENG 101, CHEMMAT 121) except for those ending in G.
- Policy 702
- Courses in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy and Optometry.
- Courses running for the whole academic year - e.g. PSYCH 308A and 308B (expect students enrolled for the whole University of Auckland academic year - February to November).
- 100 level courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Planning (unless the student is majoring in the subject at their home university.
- Graduate School of Management courses running on a quarterly basis - eg, BUSACT, BUSADMIN etc.
- Courses offered in the Faculty of Law - Part II courses, Part III yearlong courses and Part IV Advocacy, Mediation and Negotiation courses.
- GLOBAL 100, GLOBAL 200 & GLOBAL 300
- Courses with very limited enrollment availability:
- Nursing (note courses generally commence before the official start of semester)
- Biological Science, Psychology and Computer Science courses
- Courses showing the letter "G" - e.g. PHYSICS 107G
- 700 level Finance and Accounting courses.
The University of Auckland recommends that students have a second choice option for each course with limited enrollment availability. Students from these areas must apply early, in particular for Semester Two. *Nursing is only available to undergraduate students coming through special arrangements with our School of Nursing.
Gain valuable career experience through this credit-bearing internship opportunity. Following an introductory series of seminars at the beginning of the semester, you will work 6-8 hours per week at your placement in the Auckland area, keeping a journal of your experience. You will complete an internship research project related to the organization’s strategic goals or core purpose. Students completing this course receive 4 U.S. semester credits.
You must apply for the internship course in advance, no later than two weeks before the beginning of the semester. The application form is online and students must submit an academic reference.
Past interns have worked with the following organizations:
- Intelligent Ink
- Teach First NZ
- TEAR Fund
- Artists Alliance
- Transparency International
- The Creative Thinking Project
After you return to the U.S., IFSA will send a Butler University transcript to your home university and to your permanent address. The transcript reflects the courses taken, credits attempted, and grades earned during your term abroad. This service is included in your study abroad program at no additional cost.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!