- Fall: April 15-Extended to May 30
- Spring: October 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About University of Limerick
Resting on the River Shannon, the University of Limerick is renowned for innovative teaching, a prestigious music and dance school and top-notch sporting. Known as 'Ireland's Sports Campus,' when you study abroad at UL you can work out at the Sport Arena, watch a soccer match on the outdoor pitch, go kayaking on the shore of Lough Derg, or try to catch a glimpse of the Munster Rugby team while they train on campus!
University of Limerick Benefits
- One of the most affordable programs in Ireland, that offers a campus-based experience
- Students can engage with the local community through a practicum, or get involved in the many student clubs and organizations on campus
- A beautiful, green campus on the banks of the majestic River Shannon, which has a student center with medical center, bookstore, food store, bank, bars and restaurant
- Access to the University Arena, which houses a gymnasium, exercise and dance studios, indoor track, Olympic size swimming pool, tennis and squash courts
What our students say
From Risk-Taking Freshman to Irish Adventurer: The Challenges and Rewards of Being Your University’s First Freshman Abroad
Underrepresented: A Call for Men to Study Abroad
Heritage & Privilege: Multi-Racial Identity Abroad
Academics at University of Limerick Partnership
4000-level courses are undergraduate courses:
- Codes ending in even numbers indicate spring semester courses
- Codes ending in odd numbers indicate fall semester courses
- Codes ending in 1 and 2 are first year modules (ex: 4***1 and 4***2)
- Codes ending in 3 and 4 are second year modules (ex: 4***3 and 4***4)
- Codes ending in 5 and 6 are third year modules (ex: 4***5 and 4***6)
- Codes ending in 7 and 8 are fourth year modules (ex: 4***7 and 4***8)
5000-level courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
At the University of Limerick, a full course load consists of 30 ECTS credits, equivalent to 15 U.S. semester credit hours for a semester.
1 ECTS credit = .5 U.S. semester hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
The practicum comprises three key parts, which must be completed by academics, community partners and students together in order to frame the project as a collaborative and collective project between equally valued and alternatively skilled partners. The first part is preparatory and taken prior to the on-site project component; second, there is the project placement with associated practical and academic work; and third, an ex-ante evaluation of the project will be carried out by all partners to the work. For more information, please contact your IFSA program advisor.
Courses are restricted to equine majors only, and placements are not guaranteed as preference is given to full-time, degree-seeking students at the University of Limerick. Study abroad students will be able to select from the modules with open places upon arrival on campus.
SPORTS SCIENCE AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Courses are restricted to sports science and physical education majors only ,and placements are not guaranteed as preference is given to full-time, degree-seeking students at the University of Limerick. Study abroad students will be able to select from the modules with openings upon arrival on campus.
JOURNALISM AND COMMUNICATIONS
Due to minimal spaces in modules, journalism and communications courses are not open to study abroad students.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA-Butler Team
IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team and staff who are here to help every student prepare and be ready to achieve their goals at every step of the way.