- Fall: March 15
- Spring: October 15
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About University of Melbourne
Study at Australia's #1 university in the heart of the world's most livable city. Arts and culture imbues Melbourne's many laneways, markets, arcades and neighborhoods. Melbournians love coffee and food and love to be out and about. This is one of Australia's leading higher education institutions, with top ten world rankings in education, law, linguistics, psychology, accounting and finance, and medicine.
University of Melbourne Benefits
- One of Australia's leading research and higher education institutions with select research options for students in the sciences
- Melbourne was recently voted most livable city for the 7th year in a row!
- Six subject areas (education, law, linguistics, psychology, accounting and finance, and medicine) are ranked in the top ten in the 2013 QS World University Rankings
- Access on-campus amenities such as health services, post office, banks, restaurants, cafes, bistros, food cooperative, pharmacy, dental service, hair salon, news agent, bookstore, computer store, travel agent, cinema, theatres, art galleries, and stalls selling fruits, vegetables, clothing and general merchandise
- An energetic and active student union that sponsors concerts, speakers and cultural events Union House, the hub of campus social life and home to many of the 160 clubs and societies
- Great indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, including a mountain lodge
- Most classes are organized around a core series of lectures and tutorials, while students work independently on research projects and essays
What our students say
My Immersion Story: Finding Community Abroad
How to Survive & Thrive Until Study Abroad Really Begins
Taking the Time to Safely Explore Your Local Area
3 Tips for Academic Success While Studying Abroad
How Study Abroad Sparked My Professional Goals
Indigeneity: New Ways of Thinking
Coding Languages Are Standard, STEM Classes Are Not
Everywhere is a Classroom: Learning Through Internships Abroad
Tips for Navigating Study Abroad as an Introvert
A Student’s Guide to Traveling to Melbourne on a Budget
(En)roll with the Punches: A Guide to Australian Academia
A Day of Play in Melbourne: A Digital Story
5 Misconceptions About Studying in Australia
Embracing My Sexuality in Melbourne
Panic Attacks and How to Stay on Track
Re-entry and Re-definition
Understanding Reverse Culture Shock: When Home Feels Foreign
Finding Faith at University
My Parents’ 4 Fears About Studying Down Under
Spending (And Saving!) a Semester in Melbourne
When Traveling Down Under, Don’t Let a Laptop Trip You Up
The Best of Two Continents – Cultivating Your Image Abroad
A Different Kind of Connection – A Digital Story
The Day I Died
The Day I Died: A Journey Back to Reality
How to Eat Your Way Through Oz
The IFSA Difference
Academics at University of Melbourne Partnership
Open the University of Melbourne online course catalog to explore the available class options. Note that at Melbourne, classes or courses are called subjects.
Bachelor of Fine Arts students with a specialty at their home university have the unqiue opportunity to pursue classes at the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) on the Southbank Campus or the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (MCM) on the Parkville Campus in relation to their major.
The University of Melbourne requires all study abroad students to take four courses worth 12.5 points for a total of 50 Melbourne points which equals 16 U.S. semester credit hours.
6.25 UME points = 2 U.S. semester credit hours
12.5 UME points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
50 UME points = 16 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
Develop your practical scientific skills with a research project at the University of Melbourne. See all of the available research positions on the University of Melbourne website. Applications for this opportunity will require additional application materials that demonstrate your background in the research subject of your choice.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!