- Fall: April 1
- Spring: November 1
YEAR OPTIONS: Students interested in calendar or academic year-long options should contact IFSA-Butler for deadlines, fees and more.
About University of Otago
Dunedin is a classic university town known as the "Edinburgh of the South". The University of Otago is New Zealand's oldest university, a top-ranked research institution and the second southernmost university in the world. Quality academics, shared houses with Kiwi hosts, and amazing outdoor excursions are all yours at Otago.
University of Otago Benefits
- Study at New Zealand's oldest university and a top-ranked research institution
- The university boasts an active student association and many societies and clubs for cultural, athletic, political and academic interests
- Live and learn in a student-centered university town, an ideal setting for students interested in great academics and outdoor adventure
- Popular programs for Health Sciences and Theater Studies students
- The second southernmost university in the world with easy access to spectacular scenery and amazing recreation opportunities
What our students say
The Importance of Personal Days While Abroad
How to Balance Finances at Home While Studying Abroad
A First Generation Student Abroad
New Lives, New Cultures
A Guide to Friends, Travel, and Going Back Home
Getting Out of Your Shell While Out of Your Country
Learning to Appreciate Time with Myself
Advice for Getting Involved Abroad: As Told by A Temporary Kiwi
How Studying Abroad Changed My Outlook on Life
Let’s Be Friends…Maybe
Two Guys, Two Months, and a Minivan
This is My Classroom – A Digital Story
New Zealand: A Digital Story
Besty: A Digital Story
Lack of Black
The IFSA Difference
Academics at University of Otago Partnership
At the University of Otago, an IFSA full course load consists of 54-72 University of Otago points per semester or 120 University of Otago points per year. Students take 3 or 4 classes each semester, depending on the credits awarded.
18 Points at Otago = 4.5 U.S. semester credit hours
20 Points at Otago = 5 U.S. semester credit hours
24 Points at Otago = 6.5 U.S. semester credit hours
30 Points at Otago = 7.5 U.S. semester credit hours
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!