- Fall: January 15
- Spring: January 15
- Year: January 15
About University of Oxford - Worcester College
It's said that reading is to the mind as exercise is to the body. Worcester College has taken that to heart; it's the only Oxford college to have its own sports grounds on site! You'll grow mentally and physically whilst at Worcester, which was founded in 1714, and is located in the center of Oxford.
University of Oxford - Worcester College Benefits
- An outstanding faculty and supportive academic environment. Known for having one of Oxford's most active and popular drama societies that stages performances in the college gardens.
- Music is another favorite pastime of Worcester students, and lunchtime recitals by the Worcester Music Society are popular throughout Oxford.
- Worcester's location has been the setting for other colleges and halls since 1283, thus the grounds have an ancient look and rank among the most beautiful in Oxford.
- Worcester is the only college in the University with its own playing fields on the college grounds
- A September Seminar gives students an early start to the fall term and awards an additional 4 U.S. semester credit hours
- Students receive individual guidance from their tutor and benefit from the tutor's expert knowledge
- Unique tutorial instruction allows students to work independently and develop their own academic ideas
What our students say
As Cliché As It Sounds, I “Found Myself” Abroad
IFSA Interview Series: STEM at Oxford
The IFSA Difference
Academics at University of Oxford, Worcester College Partnership
Because of the individualized nature of the tutorial system, colleges at Oxford do not have an online course catalog. However, Worcester College has a helpful website with advice on choosing tutorials and a list of possible subjects.
Students take one primary (major) and one secondary (minor) tutorial every term. Students are not permitted to receive extra credit by taking two primary tutorials in one term. Butler University will award students 8 U.S. semester credit hours for each primary tutorial and 4 U.S. semester credit hours for each secondary tutorial. No credit will be awarded for additional work undertaken even if the Oxford College approves it.
Butler University will issue 12 U.S. semester credit hours for the Michaelmas (fall) term, 24 U.S. semester credit hours for the Hilary/Trinity (spring) two-term program and 36 U.S. semester credit hours for the academic year at Oxford.
Science and math students may be required to attend University lectures or to take one or more short tutorials. Regardless of the number of tutorials or lectures required, science students will earn the same number of credits (12 U.S. semester credit hours per term) as other students.
Fall and academic year students who participate in the early start option will earn an additional 4 U.S. semester credits.
Please review all your syllabi and course materials when you are registering for classes (both pre-arrival and on-site). Certain classes may have a one-off lab or field trip fee that is disclosed in the syllabus or first meeting of class. You will be responsible for these fees, whether they are billed and paid by IFSA or billed to you.
IFSA students studying at Worcester College for the fall term or academic year term can opt to arrive early (September 1) for a September Seminar in humanities. This month-long option helps students better understand the Oxford system in advance of the Michaelmas (fall) term, and it also awards an additional 4 U.S. semester credit hours for the fall. Participants live in Worcester housing during the September Seminar and throughout the remainder of the fall term.
Coursework in the seminar will be interdisciplinary within the humanities and include Oxford faculty from classics, English literature and modern languages. Students will attend a performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-on-Avon, as well as excursions to review primary source materials at various Oxford locations. Assessment will include a final research essay related to the topics taught in the seminar.
Students who take advantage of this option will earn a total of 16 U.S. semester credits for the fall.
Housing & Meals
The IFSA Team
IFSA has a dedicated team who are here to help you prepare to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out. We are happy to answer your questions!