Transcripts and Academic Information


Mailing Timeline

Because the American and host university schedules differ, it may take as long as five months for your transcript to arrive. Most U.S. universities are used to this delay and will accept a phone call or letter from our office as explanation.

  • Fall or semester 2: March-May
  • Spring or semester 1: July–September
  • Full year study abroad: July–late September
  • Summer study abroad: September–November

Grade Translations

IFSA bases grade translations on your host university’s own translation or on the recommendation of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). We translate the final grade according to these scales, which are printed in the Student Handbook distributed during the IFSA orientation abroad. Translations do not augment or reduce the grades; they are equivalent to the host university grade.

The grade report issued by a host institution abroad is considered a legal document, and IFSA cannot alter the grades—the transcript must reflect the original document’s content. We can make a change in class title, grade level or credit only if we receive a revised grade report document from your host university’s registrar (or equivalent office). We will not change a grade if we receive a letter from a university official, a university professor or a student if it has not first gone through the registrar.

Each university abroad sends official grades and assessment reports to the IFSA office in that country. No grades may be released directly to students or to their home universities.

Requesting Butler University Transcripts

IFSA alumni may order additional transcripts after receiving their initial official transcript from Butler University. Requests for official Butler University transcripts must be submitted via Butler University’s online transcript ordering service provided by the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit organization serving the higher education community.

The ordering website allows you to track your transcript, receive texts and/or email updates on your transcript status, upload any documents that must be submitted for your Butler University transcript and request an electronic PDF transcript. You may also request that your transcript be expedited for an additional fee. If you studied abroad through IFSA prior and up to 2008, please enter your Social Security Number to request your Butler University transcript.

You may need your Butler University student ID number in order to request your transcript, if your Social Security number is not recognized. This number can be found on your Butler University transcript and in the IFSA Student Portal. If you are unable to access your Butler University ID via these options, please phone IFSA’s Academic Affairs department and you will be asked a series of security questions in order to share your identification number.

If you have any other questions about the transcript request process, please contact an academic affairs coordinator at 800-858-0229.

Additional transcript fees and processing times:

  • Each additional transcript costs $9.
  • The National Student Clearinghouse processing fee is $2.25 per recipient.
  • All transcript requests are processed within five working days of receipt.

Butler University will not issue a transcript where there is an outstanding account balance, including library fines, unpaid telephone bills, and any costs resulting from damages to IFSA or host university facilities.

Alliance Program Transcript Requests

Prior to Summer 2014, Alliance program transcripts were issued by Arcadia University. Students enrolled in one of these programs (prior to summer 2014) can request additional copies of transcripts online or in writing from the Arcadia University Registrar’s Office.

Students who attended an Alliance program in summer 2014 or later can follow the steps outlined in the Requesting Butler University Transcripts section above.

Requesting a Rush Transcript

If you need a transcript sent immediately for athletic eligibility, graduate school applications, financial aid or impending graduation, please submit a rush transcript request while you are on your program. This form can be obtained in your student handbook or from your resident office. You must notify both your professors and the registrar of your host university abroad as well as our Indianapolis office via the Rush Transcript Request form before returning to the U.S. We’ll do our best to rush your transcript through.

Please note that a rush means that we will rush the transcript to you, not necessarily that your host university or universities will rush the grades to us. IFSA’s ability to rush a transcript depends upon the host university’s delivery of your grades to us quickly.